Can anyone recommend a HERMS pump?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, my pump I use for my HERMS broke. I used one of these http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/pumps/122-12v-homebrew-pump-type-3.html and it's the second pump I've gone through in a year. Can anyone recommend a decent pump which will last longer and is better quality? I don't mind paying more if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance.
It is a big ask to expect those little pumps (and the "solar" pumps) to pump debris laden wort around a HERMS circuit. I keep those little pumps back for clear beer and water only. For HERMS I use a March May pump; or the "Chugger" pumps are quite popular now, like these:

http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/17-pumps (stainless steel heads so a bit more expensive than the "Brew Builder" ones).

The little pumps are actually as (more?) efficient than the big March May's or Chuggers but the big pumps are old tech "work horses" and tend not to bung up with all the grain material floating about in the wort. (EDIT: The little pumps may not "bung up" but the extra effort needed to pump the debris will eventually break them).

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the March and chugger pumps. I know one of them is American, requires wiring into a plug which I'm not too keen on so will have to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into the March and chugger pumps. I know one of them is American, requires wiring into a plug which I'm not too keen on so will have to weigh up the pros and cons of each.
Both are. Slightly depressing isn't it.

I'm now wondering whether it's a better idea to save up and buy a grainfather. I know it's a different approach altogether, but it looks like it's easier to gain higher efficiency, more consistent brews, and I find I'm often fiddling with equipment, it breaks, I'm looking for a work around because something suddenly stopped working. A Grainfather, or similar kit, allows a brewer to focus more on beer production and recipe formulation rather than the equipment itself, or so it seems.

Im going the grainfather or similar route myself. The bulldog brewer looks good for the price.

Latest posts

Back