AG51 Orval-ish Belgian Specialty Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh that sounds delicious!

Mint disappeared. Go at least 2 solid hand fulls of mint per pineapple ot per 1L of pineapple juice. I went with 1 hand. When I bottled, it was there, but i might have tasted the trub. I bottled in porcelain bottles with cork. Dont want any light damage.

Well finally got round to brewing this. It's chilling right now, as am I while enjoying one of these, bloody good it is too...

All tucked away at 19° now, both volume and gravity targets hit bang on for once.

Not had one of those Steve but the Imperial brown stout is amazingly good try it if you haven't already.

I've not had that one but heard it's great. Their mosaic & Nelson sauvin IPA is a belter too, very impressed with them.

Lovely thick krausen this morning so I've begun the temperature ramp up. I think Belgian styles work best with a cool pitch and warm finish, so I'll crank it up 1°/day up to 25°.

One week in and this is already at 1.010, though I'll give it another few weeks to make sure the brett has finished.
The aroma has a very definite funkiness from the brett which is very nice, with a little fruit and spice.
The flavour is definitely along the right lines, though maybe a litte more malty than Orval.

The Orval clone I did a year and a half ago is the best beer I ever made so hope this turns out well for you!

The Orval clone I did a year and a half ago is the best beer I ever made so hope this turns out well for you!

You actually sent me a bottle of that (on another forum) and it was one of the best home brews I've ever tasted. If this comes close I'll be happy :hat:

Gravity check today 2 weeks in and it's down to 1.006 so far, meaning 87% attenuation and 6.8% abv.
I'm very happy with the flavours already, light and spicy, dry bitter finish, loads of brett funk.
I'll give it another week then chuck in the dry hops.

Well this has been sitting at 1.006 for over a week now so I added the dry hops (55g rather than 60 because apparently GEB done me out of 5g).
When I opened the fv it actually looks like there is a pellicle trying to form. I know that's not unusual for some brett strains and I didn't taste anything weird so hopefully it's fine :?

Well I bottled this today after 2 weeks of 1.006 so the brett should be finished by now. I'm pleased with the flavours, a nice fruity funkiness with some light caramel and a dry clean bitter finish. I've aimed for a fairly lively 2.9 vol CO2 which will lighten the body and make it nicely refreshing.

If it turns out decent I'll enter this in the April competition, but I have a back up biere de garde just in case.

Well I got impatient with this and cracked a bottle tonight, only 10 days after bottling :oops:
I really like the reddish brown colour (doesn't really show in the photo) and it's surprisingly clear.
Aroma is tart, citrusy with some caramel and earthy brett.
There's a lot more body than I expected, it's quite smooth actually. The carbonation is probably a tad light for the style. Flavour is much like the aroma, quite sharp from the sacch, with a hint of caramel from the crystal malt, fruity esters from the brett, and a long dry bitter finish.
Not bad but could definitely do with a few weeks for the flavours to meld and mellow.

Latest posts

Back