First Beer - Youngs American IPA Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublin12

Regular.
Reaction score
Done a few wine kits and WoWs - moving along now to beers.

youngs-american-ipa.jpg

Shot of the kit nicely aerated with a whip degasser

20170114_164826.jpg

1 Day later in the fermfridge @ 22.5c

20170115_105807.jpg

Will add more as they evolve.

Got this one on at the moment, it's about 3 days in at 20 degrees chugging away nicely :thumb:

To help initial fermentation you want as much oxygen as possible to help the yeasties eat all that sugary wort.

Not To sound rude, but would a degasser not reduce the oxygen in your wort, or am I missing the point?

You can use the degasser as a whip and aerate the brew (as per top pic). This is also something to watch out for when degassing wines - can introduce air if done wrong.

cheers for the link mate. ive alway wanted to see whats goin on the fv. obviously id cover it over

Says not below 20c and not above 24c in the instructions. Doesn't actually specify a perfect temp.

I can drop it down a degree. :thumb:

20170115_190349.jpg
I would leave your temperature where it is. It's fine.

Just bottled my Youngs AIPA yesterday after 2 weeks fermenting at 23C. As you say, the kit suggests 20-24C. Good active yeast ferment.

OG 1.056. Down to 1.004 after week and a half when I added the hops.
FG 1.004 when I bottled two days later.
So ABV should be 6.8%, slightly better than projected 6.3%.

Looks great. Heard it tastes great too.

I've been planning for a while what my first brew will be once I've got all my equipment, looking at recipes and thinking what kind of beers I like to make a recipe, but I think I might just get this kit.

Guessing it comes with an instruction sheet, etc? That's what is tempting me to just get a kit for my first go at it.

Looks great. Heard it tastes great too.
I've been planning for a while what my first brew will be....

Guessing it comes with an instruction sheet, etc? That's what is tempting me to just get a kit for my first go at it.
Instructions easy to find online: Youngs Beer Kit instructions.
Enjoy!

I would leave your temperature where it is. It's fine.

Just bottled my Youngs AIPA yesterday after 2 weeks fermenting at 23C. As you say, the kit suggests 20-24C. Good active yeast ferment.

OG 1.056. Down to 1.004 after week and a half when I added the hops.
FG 1.004 when I bottled two days later.
So ABV should be 6.8%, slightly better than projected 6.3%.

Excellent. How did you deal with the hops ? I have ordered some muslin bags and will probably use these for the hopping at the end.

Excellent. How did you deal with the hops ? I have ordered some muslin bags and will probably use these for the hopping at the end.
I also use muslin bags for adding the hops. Swells up like a big haggis :-). But easier to remove and you don't have the hop remains to deal with when siphoning.

@Aphid Good to know thanks ! The bags look small on amazon so I might split into 2 bags. Did you weigh them down or just leave floating ? Also how much squeezing at the end ?

Latest posts

Back