First Beer - Youngs American IPA Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Kids - we are about 1 month in and ...

Have to say I am well impressed with my first beer and will definitely try these kits again and very happy with the PET bottles also.
That's great! Pleased to see that it all worked out well, athough I am sure that was never in doubt. This has clearly fired you up to start your next brew.

If you can leave the bottles to cold condition for 6-8 weeks I am sure you will end up with a clear pint, as long as you are careful near the end of the pour to avoid any sediment getting out of the bottle.

As you empty them, you might want to cut off the plastic ring from the neck of the PET bottle left behind when you unscrew the top. They get in the way if you use a new bottle cap, rather than one you have already used.

I've just brewed this kit again.
I racked off to a secondary fermenter this time, then pimped it with an extra 100g of Citrus Hops.
It's now in a 2 week warm bottle conditioning phase, then it'll get a week or two in the cold garage.
Can't wait.

:)

OK Kids - we are about 1 month in and I grabbed a bottle from the warm fermfridge - chilled it for a few hours and poured it:
Looks good (shame about the Heineken glass :whistle:)
You should be able to drink your beer now, if it's clear. That is my experience and that suggested by Youngs if I remember correctly. It will not improve much at all, if anything, by keeping it, unlike other beers, and in fact like most (or all?) dry hopped beers will slowly lose the impact of the dry hop in time. Just try to minimise the yeast going into your glass, especially since this kit yeast seems to have a slightly unpleasant bitterness of its own.
Anyway my advice is get stuck in, and get your next brew going soon. :thumb:

I am trying to cut down but I guess just for research purposes I could try 1 a night and record whether it is improving or not !

Back