Milling grain without a mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicowk

Reaction score
Are the any techniques you've leanred to crush some uncrushed grain without a mill?

I know about spending 2 days bashing it with a rolling pin and don't really fancy that.

I ask because geterbrewed have messed my order up and send me uncrushed grain (thats 2 out of 2 ordered wrong so no more custom from me).

I will likely just send it back but curious of milling really!

They did the same and sent me 8kg of uncrushed lager malt. I messaged them by facebook (the best way to contact them). Let them know about the mistake and they sent me the correct crushed grain order and let me keep the uncrushed grain.
I've now bought a mill so will be able to use the uncrushed grain

I only started grinding my own grain when I recieved a 25kg sack of whole pale malt instead of crushed from brew uk. Looking back at the order bit was obviously my own fault so I bought a grain mill and haven't looked back since. Much better beer since then.

The only working alternative to a real crusher is a an old handcranked coffee mill, preferable with the gap at its widest. LIke my avatar, but don't go out giving money for it, try to find something with family of friends.

fwiw i followed a great thread over on Jims where a chap living on a small holding in france grew malted and crushed his own grain, his mill was 2 stone wheels cast in concrete!!

in your shoes i would simply get the supplier to correct the order ;) tho i do like the idea of the concrete diy mill i dont fancy all the work ;)

fwiw i followed a great thread over on Jims where a chap living on a small holding in france grew malted and crushed his own grain, his mill was 2 stone wheels cast in concrete!!

in your shoes i would simply get the supplier to correct the order ;) tho i do like the idea of the concrete diy mill i dont fancy all the work ;)

You could build yourself a windmill to run it like they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could build yourself a windmill to run it like they used to.

Hi!
4c5a7a6a-210e-4c1b-8bb5-ea182305809e.jpg

I think I might have to make it an excuse to buy a mill...

I've talked to geterbrew and as MyQul said with him, they are sending me the grain out again crushed for the price of P&P, and letting me keep the uncrushed.

Not sure how well a windmill is going to work on a terrace house.

I think I might have to make it an excuse to buy a mill...

I've talked to geterbrew and as MyQul said with him, they are sending me the grain out again crushed for the price of P&P, and letting me keep the uncrushed.

Not sure how well a windmill is going to work on a terrace house.

They sent my replacement crushed grain completely free (P&P included)

Are the any techniques you've leanred to crush some uncrushed grain without a mill?

I know about spending 2 days bashing it with a rolling pin and don't really fancy that.

Last heard of a punishment in a prison in Arizona in 1922. Subsequently banned by the Supreme Court as "cruel and unusual."

bigcol has been kind enough to offer use of his bulldog mill

But like I said before, this is *ahem* forcing me to buy my own..

Back