Anybody else using 3/16" OD Tubing for Corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Started to use this size line. Works wonders on 14PSI Lager, but SLOOOOW for 3-6PSI bitters etc, even with only 2ft of line.

with a serving pressure of 3-6psi you can use a dalex style flow control tap and use 3/8" line all the way from the keg to the tap. try using them with pressures above 6 psi and you will be tweaking the flow every pint never quite hitting the sweet spot.

however i personally enjoy flipping the tap and sitting the glass below and watching a perfect pint slowly fill up and every second of wait just heightens my anticipation ;)

thanks. is temp a big factor on how much line to use. iv just orderd some 3 line and all the connectors i dont chill my keg so looking for a rough gess on length and psi. i will be yousing a flow controll tap

Volumes of co2 is temp dependant. The warmer it is the more psi you will need for carbonation, and thus longer line to serve without excessive foaming.

thanks. is temp a big factor on how much line to use. iv just orderd some 3 line and all the connectors i dont chill my keg so looking for a rough gess on length and psi. i will be yousing a flow controll tap

temperature is crucial. the 3 way relationship between pressure temperature and the level of condition a beer will hold is best illustrated by a kegging chart which those with temp control can access for a look up for optimum temp/pressure for a particular brew

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4

however temp control isnt necessary i stash my kegs in a cool insulated spot(ex coal shed) come the summer i do need to use a shelf chiller, but as long as i can keep the kegs below 13c i can pour ;)

dalex style flow control taps are great without any restriction tubing upto 6psi keg pressure, over that and you will struggle to find the sweet spot andf fiddle with every pint poured. the perrlick? style flow control taps behave better with higher pressures or so i have read, but have enough faults in their design to keep me with good ol dalex style..

So after all that waffle to answer your Q I would suggest starting with a long (5-6ft) length of 3/16" and if too slow a pour try lobbing off a foot or 6 inches at a time.. and when you get a pour you like go with it,

Just dont chop the line with scissors !! that can deform the tube as u cut and result in a non flat/square cut which when inserted into a JG fitting can create a neucleation point to trigger fobbing, so cut square with a sharp blade..

So after all that waffle to answer your Q I would suggest starting with a long (5-6ft) length of 3/16" and if too slow a pour try lobbing off a foot or 6 inches at a time.. and when you get a pour you like go with it.
Hey Fil (I know you're still around ;)) is the advice to start at 6' still good? I'm generally going to be drinking lagers at 6 degrees and ales at around 12 degrees with carb levels I hope to match what you'd get in a pub.

I use 3/16". I keep my kreezer at about 6-7C. Because I leave the gas nearly all the time and I don't want it to gain or lose carbonation I have it running at 12-14psi. This is enough pressure to make pouring impossible with 3/8" even with a flow control tap. I bought 10m of 3/16" and split it into three equal coils as I've three taps. This is totally too much and I get a very slow pour and I really should get around to reducing the length of it, approx 3' should do it, but it isn't the end of the world. If I ran it colder I'd need to use lower pressure and then it'd be so long it was unworkable. If I ran it warmer I'd need to use a higher pressure and it'd probably be just right. I don't tend to like running it warmer though as I get a lot more mildew/damp/mould in the kreezer, colder is a taste compromise and uses more energy/makes noise. When you look at the friction losses on 3/16" vs 3/8" you quickly realise that 3/8" is useless. For those of you managing a decent pour off just 3/8" I don't know how you are doing it. I'd have to keep the beer VERY VERY cold, so I can balance pressure at like, 2-3psi and/or turn the gas off between pours? It it always a a balancing act.

I go post straight onto JG 3/8" OD x 1/4 FFL, bit of 3/8" to JG stop tap, tap to straight barrel x 3/16" 3x16" x 3/8" straight reducer then onto barb?

Just as an FYI the Intertap flow control taps will drop the line pressure by up to 12.3 PSI maximum so for beers at a higher pressure you definitely need to be using these in combination with smaller diameter line.

I bought 10m of 3/16" and split it into three equal coils as I've three taps. This is totally too much and I get a very slow pour and I really should get around to reducing the length of it, approx 3' should do it, but it isn't the end of the world.
You've got about 11' at the moment. Going down to 3' would be a pretty drastic drop.

I go post straight onto JG 3/8" OD x 1/4 FFL, bit of 3/8" to JG stop tap, tap to straight barrel x 3/16" 3x16" x 3/8" straight reducer then onto barb?
Why the stop tap? Does your bar tap drip?

Just as an FYI the Intertap flow control taps will drop the line pressure by up to 12.3 PSI maximum so for beers at a higher pressure you definitely need to be using these in combination with smaller diameter line.
Both my taps are the flow-control type that you can buy on ebay. The flow control mechanism works very well but if 12.3 PSI is the max drop then clearly a lager with a good fizz is going to need a run of 3/16 as well.

What works for me is 1m of 3/16” with the keezer at 9c and CO2 between 7-14 psi depending on style. Yes the lower psi is a bit slow, but with no excess foaming I can pretty much sit the glass on the drip tray while it fills, I can wait!

View media item 756

You've got about 11' at the moment. Going down to 3' would be a pretty drastic drop.

Why the stop tap? Does your bar tap drip?

Both my taps are the flow-control type that you can buy on ebay. The flow control mechanism works very well but if 12.3 PSI is the max drop then clearly a lager with a good fizz is going to need a run of 3/16 as well.

No I mean losing about 3' off of it. It'd be a bit more fine tuned and then there'd actually be a point in using the flow controls. Stop tap because I don't like leaving the beer taps 'live' unattended, also paranoid about a lack of non-return when they sit for too long as the taps are higher than the kegs.

I've only got party taps and need to use about 6' of 3/16" tubing else I pour about a quarter inch of beer with the remaining pint made up of foam.

It doesn't seem like it takes particularly long, and it doesn't seem to matter what the serving pressure is.

Back