Refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldoray

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting one but the trouble is there are quite a few to choose from. Not looking for a cheap and cheerful one. I would rather pay a little extra for a quality bit of kit.
Do any of you own one and do you recommend buying one? If so which in your opinion is the one to get?

Many thanks.

I got a cheap one off ebay, worked fine for what I needed to do ... which was sort out what was happening during the sparge, it worked a treat. I don't use it any more because my process has been sorted. So it's probably not worth getting a top of the market jobby ... it depends what you want to do with it.
Check that you get one with the units / scale that you want. They tend to be in brix / plato ... but you can get them calibrated in gravity points.
They are no good for determining the final gravity of your beer ... the alcohol puts the reading right off ... which is the reason why I don't use mine anymore ... I stick to the hydrometer for the SG and FG ...

I use one for og and fg as I only do small batches so talking a hydrometer sample doesn't suit. Calculating fg I just use the brewer's friend refractometer calculator which is very easy to use. You only need a drop out two to take a reading which is great.

Thank you both. I originally wanted one for the SG and FG rather than using my hydrometer. My thinking was it would give me a more accurate reading.
After reading your thoughts I'm thinking it could be an unnecessary bit of kit and the money could go towards building a BIAB setup.
Thanks again. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back