Bri's Centennial Brown Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,
Woke at 5am...all with a determination to start early!!
But my body told me knaaaa!
So up n at it fresh and bushy tailed!
Clean the system and sanititize now..
Grain bill sorted n hops additions...check!
The only question is the pitching the test at 18c with either these two?
Any suggestions

TBC

I've never heard of northern brown ale yeast. Where did you get it from?

American Brown ale's made with cenntenial seem to be quite popular. I'm going to be making a Centenial Amercian Brown next month too. As it's an American ale they often seem to prefer clean yeasts. So I am goin use Wilko Gervin (nottingham) in mine. So perhaps you'd like to, too.

You know the saying I'm not taking any chances? To not fluffed the brew day!
So with my notes and sticky notes I should sorted...for now!!

Then I get the mash water to mash temp!! Ehhhh! What's gannin on with this!! Ova the temp...
Looking at the 2 mash buttons..ok!
Then it dawned to me one simple mistake!! SETTING THE MASH TEMP ON THE GF!! :-(
Phew!! I got it right!! This time...

Goes to show how much time I need to get it right!!
A check list I need now tbh...with all the wool in the world trying to think what's goes next! Could be done with Bri's SIMPLE CHECK LIST!!!
So I'm going do one on the pc and print it off every time I brew!! TweAking it for different temps n styles..
Yes I could of not mentioned it so I don't look like a spanner!! And not pointing out 20 a days that I stuggle with things...but just shows how easy it can be...
One example is leaving a tap open!!!!
Ya get my drift?
Right of to sort my cuppa...
TBC

I've never heard of northern brown ale yeast. Where did you get it from?

American Brown ale's made with cenntenial seem to be quite popular. I'm going to be making a Centenial Amercian Brown next month too. As it's an American ale they often seem to prefer clean yeasts. So I am goin use Wilko Gervin (nottingham) in mine. So perhaps you'd like to, too.

Thx pal...
It's not a Northern brown ale!
I had to look in my description...
I think your thinking about me being a Northerner!! Or me saying should I use the norther brown ale yeast lol
Where did I get it from? Good question..didn't write it down on my notes...
Think it's on somethere on brewers friend site...:-(
You know how I am lol
And that's why I like yous laughing with me..,or at me lol
If I can eventually get all my steps with brewing all the way to final bottle, I might be able to enter a competition one day!!
But I'm slowly tweaking my steps and upgrading them, I.e. Gettin the best Ag system, best FV, temp controlled fridge, corni keg setup if I want pore a pint..
But at the mo..one thing (apart my tiny brain working different to others is water treatment management!!)
As you know I'm gettin stuck into the sticky of doing it!!
Thx yeah the gervin it is my m8!!
Ahhhhh!! School boy error!!
My cuppa is cold!! I'm special today lol

:cheers:
Yeah I know :lol:

As I said it looks more like an American Brown Ale especially looking at your hop schedule and hop type

:doh:
sorry pal...just being me :mrgreen:
hmmmmmmmmmm!!! i could called....American Centennial Brown Ale:whistle:
still lost to learn..which i enjoy nearly as much as hands on HM'ing :thumb:

Bloody hell the chiller was quick today!! Straight awY 17.5c a good old Wisk with the drill attachment, pitch the Gervin Ale yeast..added the temp gauge..clean up and cuppa..feet up...old man snooze..
Then onto part two of the small beer fridge..
10l at OG 1.047..
It's good having this ferm fridge! Why didn't do it before! Lol

Thx pal
It boost me no end!!

I admire the fact you see everything as a challenge and go at it like a bull at a gate a lot of people in your position would have given up, it must make great reading for anyone else in the same boat, keep up the good work. :thumb:

Little tip based on your checklist..set the gf to boil as soon as you raise the basket, saves about 20 minutes. Obviously you can't do this if you want to first wort hop.

Thx mick,
There simple thing like that that will catch me out!! In time I'll automatically do it....but for now set the Gf to boil...:-)
Nice one pal for taking the time to read my dribble lol

Latest posts

Back