first brew with summit..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal

Reaction score
..hops, I've done a couple of single hop pales recently, building up some flavour profiles to help gain some knowledge. I'll be picking up my next grain bill tomorrow and plan to brew a BIAB single hop with these.

4700g Maris Otter
235g Caramalt
200g Torrified Wheat

Summit hop...
8g @60min
8g @ 45min
8g @15min
8g @5min
28g @flameout

40g dry hop

either US-05 or T-58, (as that's what I have in the fridge) undecided yet !

target 5.5%abv 47.75 IBU

Looks good. Summit is my favourite hop just now.
Particularly for dry hopping.
200g of wheat might be more than you need tho.
I only use 100g in an 80l batch.
All down to taste I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

200g of wheat might be more than you need tho.
I only use 100g in an 80l batch.
All down to taste I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

first time with wheat, I was aiming at 4% as recommended by a local brewer, 100g in 80 ltrs now that is a difference ! I'll see him tomorrow when I pick up my grains and have another word with him about it, cheers :thumb:

I suppose it depends. I still get a good head and decent mouth feel. Its all about trial and error tho. See how you get on with 200g.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think I'll ditch the Caramalt as I want to keep it a smash, but I'll add some dextrin and play around with the torrified wheat / dextrin amounts later on brewers friend, also I'll forget the 45min addition and go for 16g @ 15min for more flavour :thumb:

47 ibu is quite high. What will it be at when you lose the 45 min addition?

recipe is :

4500g Marris Otter
200g Torrified Wheat
300g Dextrine Malt

summit hop
8g @ 60min
16g @15min
8g @5min
28g @ flameout

40g dry hop

US-05

39.49 IBU 5.56%abv

Let us know how it pans out.
I d be interested to know what a summit smash would be like.

brew went ok, had an og of 1.050 and a fg of 1.008, had a pre secondary taste and decided to chuck in 40g of chinook pellet with the 40g of summit whole, dry hopped for 4days and bottled 19ltrs.

cheeky taste tonight after 3 days in the bottle... nice mouth feel, decent bitterness with a good amount of citrus, love it !

IMG_0981.jpg

I shall use summit again :thumb:

How would you describe Summit? Used to brewing with Cascade, Chinook and Citra but feel I need to branch out a bit.

it has a nice bite to it, and I've heard people say it has an onion taste, I don't get any of that...just citrus, just grabbed another cheeky bottle as it's good, thinking I might brew this again soon as I can't see it lasting long !
brewed a Chinook/Cascade ipa today and chose summit over nugget for bittering... i'm liking it a lot

well, just brewed a second batch as it's going down well. I do pick up the orange citrus from this hop and I'm liking it a lot, so I added some clementine peel to this boil to help lift that flavour a little more, going to be a regular brew for me this one !

I think it works really well with cascade and will brew my simple IPA brew with these two as a combo again.

Got single hop cascade and summit brews planned to see what they bring individually to the party (and give 80 hoppy beers to drink over the summer ;) )

I have also just bottled a brew using Summit.
I did not like the taste of it,so I added a Fuggles dry hop, and now I don't mind it

Back