Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer!

Looks like it may be more trouble than it's worth to modify things, plus 16g capsules ain't cheap!
It is unless you use them with the keg it comes with also saw somewhere on here about making a adapter for the 8g bulbs

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It is unless you use them with the keg it comes with also saw somewhere on here about making a adapter for the 8g bulbs

It's here and in use on a Fexi-Tap as I type. :thumb:

16g to 8g 1.jpg

16g to 8g 2.jpg

Sorry. I was making a joke (which fell flat on its face) :oops:

60p sounds a very reasonable price for those bulbs
Oomph, you had me worried there for a bit. I just bought 5 boxes from that supplier! I plumped for the larger volume as the delivery charge is static and I expect to be using my dispenser (or an equivalent replacement) for a very long time.

I was just about to tap my third keg with my party star tap. Beforehand I screwed in a new co2 bulb and the whole thing just immediately leaked out, despite the knob being turned all the way off. I then wasted a second bulb trying again...

Anyone had this happen before? Can it be fixed? Should I be screwing in the co2 bulb before putting the tap in the keg?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was just about to tap my third keg with my party star tap. Beforehand I screwed in a new co2 bulb and the whole thing just immediately leaked out, despite the knob being turned all the way off. I then wasted a second bulb trying again...

Anyone had this happen before? Can it be fixed? Should I be screwing in the co2 bulb before putting the tap in the keg?

I don't see why you can't put the bulb in when not inside a keg. I often take my tap out of a keg after it's empty whilst the bulb is still connected

I've only ever screwed a bulb in when the keg has been full when using my PSD, but the bulbs last more than a full keg and I've had no issues removing and storing the tap with a part-full bulb in.

This is what I thought... So there's something wrong with my tap then... anyone had this problem before? I have a keg of beer I can't access until I fix it.

Is there a way to release excess keg pressure? I thought maybe using the CO2-in in some reverse way? All I can think of for now is to drill a hole in an empty CO2 bulb. Would that work?

Pour a pint.

The entire keg was needed. Keg was rocking, so tapped early. Almost burst open in front of my eyes as I pushed in the tap. But I guess it bulges way before it bursts. Anyway, the keg was a gonner, just wanted to save the beer. Drank it anyway, a bit flat, 5l jug and waited for foam to die back. Will be buying the pressure release bungs very soon; fit and forget.

The entire keg was needed. Keg was rocking, so tapped early. Almost burst open in front of my eyes as I pushed in the tap. But I guess it bulges way before it bursts. Anyway, the keg was a gonner, just wanted to save the beer. Drank it anyway, a bit flat, 5l jug and waited for foam to die back. Will be buying the pressure release bungs very soon; fit and forget.

Think on lad!

The CO2 is in equilibrium with the beer and suddenly you shove into the MK the wand of a tap. The wand displaces about half of the volume of the space at the top of the MK.

The pressure rises dramatically because the CO2 gas can't be absorbed by the beer quick enough to prevent the sudden rise in pressure.

IF you are lucky, nothing untoward happens ... :thumb:

... but if you are like me you have to do it twice and see the seal around the bottom tap shed a load of beer before you twig what is happening! :doh: :doh:

I now pull off at least a litre (90% froth and 5% beer) before inserting the wand; and it works! :thumb:

Think on lad!

The CO2 is in equilibrium with the beer and suddenly you shove into the MK the wand of a tap. The wand displaces about half of the volume of the space at the top of the MK.

The pressure rises dramatically because the CO2 gas can't be absorbed by the beer quick enough to prevent the sudden rise in pressure.

IF you are lucky, nothing untoward happens ... :thumb:

... but if you are like me you have to do it twice and see the seal around the bottom tap shed a load of beer before you twig what is happening! :doh: :doh:

I now pull off at least a litre (90% froth and 5% beer) before inserting the wand; and it works! :thumb:

No tap on my kegs. Only the second use of these, and was away on holiday. Would have spotted the bulge earlier but wasn't there. And the beer was very unique also, in that it stopped way too early and was sweet to the taste as a result. But SG didn't move for a week. Not sure if this makes sense, but it's like the priming sugar brought the yeast back to life, which then continued to lower the FG. Anyways, too many variables and too risky. The pressure release bungs are the way to go.

No tap on my kegs. Only the second use of these, and was away on holiday. Would have spotted the bulge earlier but wasn't there. And the beer was very unique also, in that it stopped way too early and was sweet to the taste as a result. But SG didn't move for a week. Not sure if this makes sense, but it's like the priming sugar brought the yeast back to life, which then continued to lower the FG. Anyways, too many variables and too risky. The pressure release bungs are the way to go.

Yep! Sounds like you kegged a "stuck" brew!

It could have been the bit of extra oxygen, introduced when you transferred the beer to the MKs, that kick started it again.

You aren't the first (Mea Culpa) and you certainly won't be the last! :doh:

Could I force carb in a Corny then fill an easy keg with a blichmann beer gun or similar and then stuck bung in top and take to a party or wherever

Back