Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > AG49 Vermont IPA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #161
Sadfield
Senior Member
 
Sadfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 598
Liked 289 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
Has anybody tried using lactose in this style to try and get the silky mouthfeel? Or would that leave too much sweetness? I'm going to try to do one very soon, just picked up a vial of yeast bay Vermont yeast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be an interesting twist on it, haven't used it in this style but have added to a pale ale and find it gives a fatty, creamy feeling on the lips in the way ice cream does.
__________________
http://www.macchomebrew.club
Sadfield is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #162
Ajhutch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 547
Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Could be an interesting twist on it, haven't used it in this style but have added to a pale ale and find it gives a fatty, creamy feeling on the lips in the way ice cream does.


I've only ever used it in a stout but yeh, well characterised.m. I think you're right to call it a twist, so something I will save for v2 or later! I'm going to go with a more conventional grain bill that I'd already ordered, I bought oat malt and had bought flaked wheat not the other way around so that's my twist! Going for it tomorrow, I've weighed out my grains and treated my mash and sparge water, I'll be fitting it in around the kids' activities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ajhutch is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #163
Leon103
Senior Member
 
Leon103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,224
Liked 738 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Drinking @Hoddy NEIPA. Will let you know how it goes
Leon103 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #164
Leon103
Senior Member
 
Leon103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,224
Liked 738 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

A little review of @Hoddy NEIPA.

I had already been warned that it may turn out brown instead of the hazy orange you expect with the style but I was still surprised by the colour. Very odd, I can't really say what may have caused it, especially if the kegged version was spot on.

On pouring a massive head that stayed all the way down the glass with good lacing. On showing the wife she said that looks oaty with that big head.

Big hop aroma, perhaps not as much as I would have expected from reading various recipes on the style. A bit bitter on entering mouth but it is so smooth it mellows out. Wife said it was very nice and I had to fight to get it back. I think this would be bang on if you got to the colour issue or call it a NEBA New England brown ale.

I don't like comparing HB to commercial beer but it gives us all something to work off. To be honest I haven't had many NEIPA and most have left me a bit disappointed, I think some Brewers are finding them difficult. I popped into a bar after work that as a bottle shop and spoke to the guy there about the NEIPA craze and he pointed me to a can of Perfectionless by Redwillow Brewery. He said it was the best NEIPA he tasted so I have just poured that. Hmm not sure if it is the best, he should try @Hoddy version, much better. This has a nice colour but really lacks the hop aroma and flavour hops and yeast aren't listed but I guess they haven't used much and there is less oats.

@Hoddy thanks for the swap, I really enjoyed it. Best NEIPA I have had, perhaps until I taste mine lol.

I bottled Wednesday, I am away next week but when I back I will post one out in return.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4993.jpg  
Leon103 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #165
Hoddy
Junior Member
 
Hoddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greatham - East Hants
Posts: 771
Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Hey @leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Anyone have any ideas on why this beer could go so brown I would be fascinated to hear them.

Bearing in mind the beer in my picture has spent 6 weeks at 2oC in a keg so the haze has started to drop out of it by now.

But I think this has to be the hardest style I've ever had a go at. And just to clarify I've always had the rule of never cloning beers, or making others recipes. I always go from the ground up. I find it better that way.

But I think I have some solid ideas on where to take this into V2.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Drinking
I cant keep this up to date....

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Hoddy is offline  
Leon103 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #166
Leon103
Senior Member
 
Leon103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 3,224
Liked 738 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Hey @Leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Anyone have any ideas on why this beer could go so brown I would be fascinated to hear them.

Bearing in mind the beer in my picture has spent 6 weeks at 2oC in a keg so the haze has started to drop out of it by now.

But I think this has to be the hardest style I've ever had a go at. And just to clarify I've always had the rule of never cloning beers, or making others recipes. I always go from the ground up. I find it better that way.

But I think I have some solid ideas on where to take this into V2.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that looks a totally different beer.
Leon103 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #167
dan125
BIAB brewer
 
dan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Medway
Posts: 895
Liked 364 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Hey @Leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Anyone have any ideas on why this beer could go so brown I would be fascinated to hear them.

Bearing in mind the beer in my picture has spent 6 weeks at 2oC in a keg so the haze has started to drop out of it by now.

But I think this has to be the hardest style I've ever had a go at. And just to clarify I've always had the rule of never cloning beers, or making others recipes. I always go from the ground up. I find it better that way.

But I think I have some solid ideas on where to take this into V2.
Someone mentioned this darkening that happened with bottled Vermont beers on a youtube smashoff beer review (2 mins in):


Seems like you're not on your own
__________________
BREWING:
Two Finger Salute Best Bitter
Oast House Pale Ale V3

DRINKING:
Belly Of The Beast Brown Beer V4
dan125 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #168
mr_bridger
Member
 
mr_bridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 73
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Totally agree with this. I find it peaks at about 4th gen. And you almost need to adjust your recipe to accommodate the character is can produce.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, harvesting the yeast fell on its arse, I bought another fermenter to transfer it, but with the weather at the time and some other unforseen circumstances, I just ended up dry hopping straight in the FV.

On bottling day, to my surprise, the entirety of the dry hops were sat on the top of the beer like a big thick green carpet. In the end, mission aborted, emptied the beer fridge and shoved the FV in there. 2 days later it had all dropped out, so kegged 9L and bottled the rest.

Force carbed keg, day or so later poured first glass. Amazing colour, taste and mouthfeel! Well impressed. I've not tried a bottle yet, I wonder if it has changed colour. Will see this weekend, but here's a pic of beer from the keg. 👌
mr_bridger is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #169
BeerCat
Senior Member
 
BeerCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 2,365
Liked 601 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
Well, harvesting the yeast fell on its arse, I bought another fermenter to transfer it, but with the weather at the time and some other unforseen circumstances, I just ended up dry hopping straight in the FV.

On bottling day, to my surprise, the entirety of the dry hops were sat on the top of the beer like a big thick green carpet. In the end, mission aborted, emptied the beer fridge and shoved the FV in there. 2 days later it had all dropped out, so kegged 9L and bottled the rest.

Force carbed keg, day or so later poured first glass. Amazing colour, taste and mouthfeel! Well impressed. I've not tried a bottle yet, I wonder if it has changed colour. Will see this weekend, but here's a pic of beer from the keg. 👌
That looks really nice, mine was darker and somewhat of a failure. Not a bad beer but more of an IPA.
__________________
Fermenting BIPA x2, Jaipur clone, Dry Irish Stout with WLP004, Dry Irish Stout with WLP007, Hoppy Lager, Rye Kolsch, 3 Meads, Cyser, Red Honey wine and Port, Raw Saison

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel
BeerCat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #170
mr_bridger
Member
 
mr_bridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 73
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default

I forgot to post this before, but this is the same batch of NEIPA. Left is Keg, right is bottled. (Bottles Co2 flushed too) bottle conditioning defo make it darker / browner. Taste changed a little too. Definitely not as 'fresh' tasting.
mr_bridger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing Vermont IPA - Big Dry Hop... gedburg101 General Beer Brewing Discussion 8 03-11-2016 04:10 PM
Vermont IPA Brewday YeastFace Beer Brewdays! 7 13-08-2016 08:37 AM
Experience with yeast bay Vermont ale yeast Hoddy Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 31 04-07-2016 06:21 PM
Yeast bay Vermont ale yeast GHW Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 5 31-12-2015 06:51 PM

Newest Threads