Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewdays! > AG49 Vermont IPA

Old 23-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #161
Sadfield

Liked 289 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajhutch View Post
Has anybody tried using lactose in this style to try and get the silky mouthfeel? Or would that leave too much sweetness? I'm going to try to do one very soon, just picked up a vial of yeast bay Vermont yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could be an interesting twist on it, haven't used it in this style but have added to a pale ale and find it gives a fatty, creamy feeling on the lips in the way ice cream does.

Old 23-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #162
Ajhutch

Liked 195 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfield View Post
Could be an interesting twist on it, haven't used it in this style but have added to a pale ale and find it gives a fatty, creamy feeling on the lips in the way ice cream does.

I've only ever used it in a stout but yeh, well characterised.m. I think you're right to call it a twist, so something I will save for v2 or later! I'm going to go with a more conventional grain bill that I'd already ordered, I bought oat malt and had bought flaked wheat not the other way around so that's my twist! Going for it tomorrow, I've weighed out my grains and treated my mash and sparge water, I'll be fitting it in around the kids' activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 30-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #163
Leon103

Liked 738 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Drinking @Hoddy NEIPA. Will let you know how it goes

Old 30-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #164
Leon103

A little review of @Hoddy NEIPA.

I had already been warned that it may turn out brown instead of the hazy orange you expect with the style but I was still surprised by the colour. Very odd, I can't really say what may have caused it, especially if the kegged version was spot on.

On pouring a massive head that stayed all the way down the glass with good lacing. On showing the wife she said that looks oaty with that big head.

Big hop aroma, perhaps not as much as I would have expected from reading various recipes on the style. A bit bitter on entering mouth but it is so smooth it mellows out. Wife said it was very nice and I had to fight to get it back. I think this would be bang on if you got to the colour issue or call it a NEBA New England brown ale.

I don't like comparing HB to commercial beer but it gives us all something to work off. To be honest I haven't had many NEIPA and most have left me a bit disappointed, I think some Brewers are finding them difficult. I popped into a bar after work that as a bottle shop and spoke to the guy there about the NEIPA craze and he pointed me to a can of Perfectionless by Redwillow Brewery. He said it was the best NEIPA he tasted so I have just poured that. Hmm not sure if it is the best, he should try @Hoddy version, much better. This has a nice colour but really lacks the hop aroma and flavour hops and yeast aren't listed but I guess they haven't used much and there is less oats.

@Hoddy thanks for the swap, I really enjoyed it. Best NEIPA I have had, perhaps until I taste mine lol.

I bottled Wednesday, I am away next week but when I back I will post one out in return.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4993.jpg  

Old 30-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #165
Hoddy

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey @leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Anyone have any ideas on why this beer could go so brown I would be fascinated to hear them.

Bearing in mind the beer in my picture has spent 6 weeks at 2oC in a keg so the haze has started to drop out of it by now.

But I think this has to be the hardest style I've ever had a go at. And just to clarify I've always had the rule of never cloning beers, or making others recipes. I always go from the ground up. I find it better that way.

But I think I have some solid ideas on where to take this into V2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Leon103 Likes This 
Old 30-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #166
Leon103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
Hey @Leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Anyone have any ideas on why this beer could go so brown I would be fascinated to hear them.

Bearing in mind the beer in my picture has spent 6 weeks at 2oC in a keg so the haze has started to drop out of it by now.

But I think this has to be the hardest style I've ever had a go at. And just to clarify I've always had the rule of never cloning beers, or making others recipes. I always go from the ground up. I find it better that way.

Wow that looks a totally different beer.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #167
dan125
BIAB brewer

Liked 364 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Hey @Leon thanks for the review. Seriously the beer colour, you would not believe the difference from the keg to the bottle.

Someone mentioned this darkening that happened with bottled Vermont beers on a youtube smashoff beer review (2 mins in):

Seems like you're not on your own

DRINKING:
Belly Of The Beast Brown Beer V4

Old 14-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #168
mr_bridger

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Totally agree with this. I find it peaks at about 4th gen. And you almost need to adjust your recipe to accommodate the character is can produce.

Well, harvesting the yeast fell on its arse, I bought another fermenter to transfer it, but with the weather at the time and some other unforseen circumstances, I just ended up dry hopping straight in the FV.

On bottling day, to my surprise, the entirety of the dry hops were sat on the top of the beer like a big thick green carpet. In the end, mission aborted, emptied the beer fridge and shoved the FV in there. 2 days later it had all dropped out, so kegged 9L and bottled the rest.

Force carbed keg, day or so later poured first glass. Amazing colour, taste and mouthfeel! Well impressed. I've not tried a bottle yet, I wonder if it has changed colour. Will see this weekend, but here's a pic of beer from the keg. 👌
People Like This 
Old 14-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #169
BeerCat

Liked 601 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bridger View Post
Well, harvesting the yeast fell on its arse, I bought another fermenter to transfer it, but with the weather at the time and some other unforseen circumstances, I just ended up dry hopping straight in the FV.

On bottling day, to my surprise, the entirety of the dry hops were sat on the top of the beer like a big thick green carpet. In the end, mission aborted, emptied the beer fridge and shoved the FV in there. 2 days later it had all dropped out, so kegged 9L and bottled the rest.

Force carbed keg, day or so later poured first glass. Amazing colour, taste and mouthfeel! Well impressed. I've not tried a bottle yet, I wonder if it has changed colour. Will see this weekend, but here's a pic of beer from the keg. 👌
That looks really nice, mine was darker and somewhat of a failure. Not a bad beer but more of an IPA.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 14-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #170
mr_bridger

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I forgot to post this before, but this is the same batch of NEIPA. Left is Keg, right is bottled. (Bottles Co2 flushed too) bottle conditioning defo make it darker / browner. Taste changed a little too. Definitely not as 'fresh' tasting.