repitching US05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkar

Reaction score
I just done a pale ale , with us05 , i transferred to secondary and left the crud in the fermentor . I then put about 500ml of this into a jug and coverred . I brewed the next day and repitched . It seemed to take off like mad , as the two styles are similar , one an american , the other a London pride clone , would you think there would be any off flavours? etc. I looked at it after 3 days and there the krausen has receed back but not dropped out of suspension

Has anyone doen this before . I had a starter made of London Ale wyeast but was too fearful it would fart out - there wasn't much activity in it and i partially used normal table sugar as i had a small amount of dme
Any thoughts???

I've done this plenty of times. You should be fine. Some people will "wash" the yeast before re-pitching it. I don't. I've never noticed any off flavors. I suppose if you made an extremely hoppy IPA and then pitched a bunch of the resulting yeast into a light cream ale, you might get some. It's a nice way to save some money by just re-pitching.

Thanks for the heads up first time using this yeast seems to work a lot cleaner and as quick as s04 , like it alot. Have you any idea whether i would have wrecked my liqiud yeast by putting in normal caster sugar , there was about a 70% of dme in there so hopefully it wouldnt have produced off flavours

I'm a little lazy with dried yeast and tend to use new packs, but US-05 is one that i like to re-use if its convenient because it seems to work more noticably better after the first generation - for me it definately seems to it ferment faster and attenuate further.

Cheers
kev

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Great yeast but a **** to clear. :eek:
Yes, agreed. Lovely clean flavour - I'm sipping an Amarillo IPA as I type and it's gorgeous - but it's still hazy and my recent SNPA is the same. I'm not all that bothered, but I am about to brew a Citra recipe with S05, half of which is for a friend's party, so I'm considering using some finings for the first time.

MikeB said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
Great yeast but a **** to clear. :eek:
Yes, agreed. Lovely clean flavour - I'm sipping an Amarillo IPA as I type and it's gorgeous - but it's still hazy and my recent SNPA is the same. I'm not all that bothered, but I am about to brew a Citra recipe with S05, half of which is for a friend's party, so I'm considering using some finings for the first time.

It soon obays a dose of Kwik Clear, or gelatin

UP

Latest posts

Back