GW Book versus BeerSmith 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laithclark

Reaction score
I have BeerSmith 2 installed on my mac and its a great tool for putting recipes together. However on putting a few of GW's recipes in there, there is some discrepancies in terms of colour and bitterness.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on this - i.e. should I assume any BeerSmith recipe will be darker and less bitter or vice versa.

Would be interested to know what you think

Thanks

The default settings for the ingredients in BS2 will be different to those used by GW . . . You can either adjust them to Grahams values, or better still adjust them for the ingredients you are using, and then tweak the recipes in BS2 to match the beer specs Published by GW

GW's Beer Engine uses another formula for colour calculation. BS uses Morey equation, which is just wrong. Lab tests using spectrosomething measured my beer colour as 34 EBC, BS calculated 25 EBC, Beer Engine 35 EBC.

Looks like UK maltsters use a different method of assessing EBC compared to Euro method.
http://www.craftbrewing.org.uk/index.ph ... maltcolour
Not sure Beersmith is wrong, just that GW seems to follow the IOB and their method of calculating EBC. Looks as if Beersmith uses the European Brewing Convention method, when converting from SRM. I seem to be using a lot of Weyermann Malts so I should probably try to understand this in more detail.
Edit The IOB now the Institute of Brewing and Distilling website seems to suggest they no longer maintain their method of calculating EBC and refer to the EBC analytica!! so this becomes even more confusing. :?: :wha:

Thanks for the feedback, not sure there's a simple answer on this one but I have reviewed the ingredients and % colour/bitterness and that's helped greatly albeit with more of an approximation on the colour on Beersmith2

Aleman said:
The default settings for the ingredients in BS2 will be different to those used by GW . . . You can either adjust them to Grahams values, or better still adjust them for the ingredients you are using, and then tweak the recipes in BS2 to match the beer specs Published by GW
Does this work if the EBC values for a given UK malt are calculated by a different method?
For example Crisps Malts list both EBC values and IOB (EBC) values for its malts.
GW seems to have used IOB (EBC) values.
Which of the EBC values to use? particularly if using a Crisps Malt with say a Weyermann malt.
Should we Ignore GW and IOB (EBC)values and use the EBC method values? Particulary as it seems the IOB has stopped Using their method of calculating EBC?
Its doesn't matter that much for the home brewer of course since its more about being able to reproduce a good brew, consistency matters more than the methodology I guess. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back