All grain without a gas cooker

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkin71

Reaction score
I'm really interested in going all grain. Using the mash tun method.

What are my options?

I have an electric cooker. The one with the plates not electric ring.

I was thinking of getting a water boiler but Iv been put of some what. People saying they are prone to break while in use. Some saying they only lasted them 6 brews. £95 for 6 brews seems a lot.

Looked at both the brupacks version and buffalo. People had complaints about both.

Thanks in advance

Hi. I brew all grain and use my electric cooker during the winter. Once you have raised the water to your strike temperature (72c) it's easy going after that. My pot is able to maintain the required temperature for a 1 hour mash without any power on. When it comes to the boil I am sure your cooker can handle the boiling so you should not have any problems at all. I don't claim to be an expert on all things brewing but have several years experience with all grain brewing. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to ask.:cheers:

Good to hear thanks.

What size pot do you use?

I wanted to get a 2 batch pot but unsure if it will cause issues.

Where did you get your pot from? My local brew shop only sell pots for gas burners.

Thanks

the brupacks boiler is imho a little tight on volume, the 40l buffalo boiler is a good choice for its volume, but as its not designed to boil beer ( beer boils hotter than water) for 90 mins there are features of the boiler that need modification/attention..

My first Ag boiler was a simple mango barrel mod, the 45/50l ex mango barrels can be got via ebay for circa £11 delivered..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Plastic...381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a47cdba75

add a tenner for a couple of budget kettle elements,
add £20 for a hop filter and tap plumbing, and you have a budget boiler.

7936443660_f7d120ca36_c.jpg

the hdpe isnt the ideal plastic as it will soften slightly with the boil heat, Not a BIG issue, but one u should be aware of, the barrel wont collapse :) but the mouth may oval and any lever tap fitted will need support when turned not to fold it into the barrel side ;) I cut the top from my lid and screwd the collar back on as a mouth support to keep it round ;)
the copper kettle online brewshop sell PP buckets 67l iirc which are suitable for boiler making the PP remains rigid at boil temps ;)

my first ag brew attempt was made with a 5 gallon burco boiler which was very tight on volume which resulted in not being able to fill with all the preboil volume and a long messy boil with boil overs and lots of sticky wastefull spills to mop up, something that really puts a dampner on the brewday fun and got my brewing banned from the kitchen forever..

a good rolling boil needs a good 5-6cm of headroom in the boiler above the static liquid level to accomodate and contain the boil with confidence, and when the boil first starts off the brew can foam up a bit too So its well worth getting the bigger volume from day one in my opinion

Hello Malkin71 and a massive hello Fil long time no speak m8.
I had a few brews out of The AG setup I got off Fil and apart from the Blue barrel above with its mouth security the whole setup was fantastic. From getting the overall water needed in the HLT to the Mash tun to the boiler and eventually to the fV was unreal..spot on to my 23L batch every time.
There are simple ways to AG including using a large enough Pot for your HLT, a FV for your mash tun with enough insulation a false bottom and tap, utilising another pot for your boiler (or the HLT) grabbing a wart chiller is the best thing I got to be honest.
This is my HLT Mash tun and Boiler (not set up correctly by the way) but shows what can be utilized.

The HLT has two elements controlled by a STC1000 controller

The Boiler nearing the end of its boil with wart chiller being sanitized.

Sparging after Mashing was so accurate, crude but effective.

But I suppose its all down to the available money and how far you are willing to go.
Fil did say to me one day I will want to get 'Shiny Shiny' and upgrade, which after some time under the radar due to family commitments will be next year:thumb:
I hope my woffle has aided you some...
ATB
Brian

Another option is a gas ring that connects to a gas bottle, which means you can brew anywhere - outside in fine weather, avoid steaming the kitchen. The Maltmiller sells them for £28, then you need the gas.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=422

I've seen one in a local cheap shop for £18, thinking of getting it.

not a bad set up that m8, as my outdoor one is very old heavy and on its last legs.:thumb:
ATB
Bri

Latest posts

Back