Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for my ignorance but I am new to this home brewing lark. I am going to start off with wine but my kids like cider, are these kegs good for holding cider?

I'm not a cider drinker but I think it is either very flat or very fizzy. The kegs would be great for flat but not suited to the very fizzy type as they can't handle the pressure.

Just a heads up for people in belfast, Tesco newtownbreda got in the Adnams ghost ship mini kegs in yesterday, I got 2 last night, £15 each! Only 4 came in yesterday so may have to get there early to get them but hopefully Tesco in Northern Ireland will now start stocking these.

Well that keg didn't last long! Poured like s dream all the way to the bottom. Daft question tho, do I need to close the vent after each pint or just when I'm finished for the night? Yesterday I closed it each time but the bung won't last more than a single brew if I keep doing that.

Well that keg didn't last long! Poured like s dream all the way to the bottom. Daft question tho, do I need to close the vent after each pint or just when I'm finished for the night? Yesterday I closed it each time but the bung won't last more than a single brew if I keep doing that.

I close after each pour. Dunno what your doing with your bungs Dr Gorrila Grip but mine have lasted loads of brews and are still going strong

Second stupid question, what's the best way to get the bung out? I ended up using a screwdriver and pliers and now have a hole in my hand! :lol:

Tools needed: Blunt butter knife. Piece of string

1. Lever off the first red bit with butter knife
2. Push second red bit into keg
3. Lever up part of the black bit and push string underneath. Lever up a bit more and push more string underneath.
4.Go round till you've got string all the way round under the black bit except at the 7oclock and 5oclock positions and you should have enough string trailing from the 7&5 oclock positions so you can wrap it round your fist.
5. No give the string sustained and hard pulling. The bung will slowly come out then fly across the room

2. Push second red bit into keg

I saw a tip earlier that said to get the red bit out of the Keg half fill with water turn upside down in sink and open the tap so it flows out fast.

502feca6c1f3eed2449dbe7e1c32373f.jpg

Bought these bad boys today... £15 a pop at Tesco's. Going to give kegging a try. Read (almost all 95 pages) over the last few days. Did I miss how long they can keep prior to opening? I believe concensus is 3-4 days once open. But are they good for aging in? Say till Xmas?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

And how about prior to opening? So from bottling/kegging day?

Using a screwdriver to get the bunk out obviously wasn't a great idea, not only do I have a hole in my hand but I also have a bit of rust appearing when I must have scraped the rim.

just found this on youtube, nice to see it as a whole, i got a little confused reading so many posts,

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTyaLus0Ls&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Good video. Just unbunged, cleaned and sterilised my first keg. Was really quite simple. Going to empty another this weekend. It's a hard life!

I then have an IPA that's ready to bottle Monday to will see how it goes. Will keep you posted.

Just ordered a 5l Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale and a 5l Ghost Ship
£30 +£2.99 delivery for both,cannot wait.
Think it was from cellar and kitchen? For anyone interested
Cheers

Sorry
It was cellarandkitchen.adnams.uk
Was going to get a Hobgoblin from Waitrose or a Bitburger? From Iceland but the two ive orderded seem much better.

Back