Red grape Juice, with dried elderberries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GDog
Started this 15.4.17 . SG 1.102
SG today 0.992 and has been for a while. Activity appears to have stopped.
Not a bad colour, tastes ............ unusual but certainly not unpleasant. Bit of that whiff there still in the glass.
Propose letting it sit another week in dj before racking onto Campden, clearing etc.

On the right track?

GDog
Started this 15.4.17 . SG 1.102
SG today 0.992 and has been for a while. Activity appears to have stopped.
Not a bad colour, tastes ............ unusual but certainly not unpleasant. Bit of that whiff there still in the glass.
Propose letting it sit another week in dj before racking onto Campden, clearing etc.

On the right track?

Yup, sounds about right!

it is an unusual taste, you are right - but I really like it!

I left the lastest batch(s) in the DJ to clear on just 1xCT after racking, and left them there for a month before bottling..

Racked today onto CTs. My tasting has gone well overboard. At least 2 litres overboard! ;) In my own defence, have had a few interested parties popping in and helping me evaluate this, stage by stage.

Must admit I have fined with Kwik clear although at the minimum rate. I have left one dj full to the bung to put aside for a couple of months. the other 'half' I will bottle what is left when clear but it will not last long.

'that' smell has now gone. I do really like this and it promises well once aged a tad.

Racked today onto CTs. My tasting has gone well overboard. At least 2 litres overboard! ;) In my own defence, have had a few interested parties popping in and helping me evaluate this, stage by stage.

Must admit I have fined with Kwik clear although at the minimum rate. I have left one dj full to the bung to put aside for a couple of months. the other 'half' I will bottle what is left when clear but it will not last long.

'that' smell has now gone. I do really like this and it promises well once aged a tad.

It's like proper wine isn't it! Elderberry still is a slightly strange flavour compared to grape but I like it..:thumb:

One thing I will say - it is deffo a PROPER red.

I'm having one now, it's got as much body as anything I've bought at Asda in the lower 4 quid per bottle boxed range . The jury is out if it's "Actually" worth it, the **** on with the berries, straining, and associated costs compared to a quid-a-bottle quicky kit such as Cellar7, but I like it.

My latest 'magic' batch is being tested tonight by @richytrue, so he can add his findings to this post.

I give this a well deserved 8 out of 10, a substantial improvement over a straight up WOW. Don't think it will ever get rid of its distinctive aroma but the elderberries give it a load of body.

Latest posts

Back