Isinglass in the keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
I was going to put the AG beer i whipped up last week into a keg tomorrow. It was my first attempt and I yielded about 18l of pretty strong wort from it (OG=1058, but it was supposed to be 23l@105). I also completely forgot to put my protofloc into it, so I'm expecting to have a cloudy beer at the end.

To remedy this a little, I made up some isinglass mixture from 1tsp of dried isinglass and 500ml boiled and cooled water today. I put it in my blender and gave it a whizz, it seems fairly homogeneous (nothing that can't be distilled), but it smells a bit. I'd say it was about half the smell of a Thai fish sauce.

I'm debating whether to put about 200ml of the mixture in with the carbonating sugar when I keg up the beer tomorrow. I was going to bottle but I'd like to try to get the beer to clear a little during conditioning, is this advised? Will the smelly isinglass affect the taste of the beer, which smells amazing at the moment...?

P.S. When I bought the isinglass from HBS I also went ahead and bought another few kilos of malt, yeast and hops for AG number 2, to save on postage ;)

What typr of keg are you using? Isinglass is used to drop the yeast and cloudyness to the dead space in the bottom of a cask so should work the same in a pressure barrel but not in a normal keg.

Just a normal keg with a spigot at the bottom, I think I'll just leave it and bottle it as-is. I might leave it for another week

Back