Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Isinglass in the keg

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 22-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
johnw

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Isinglass in the keg

I was going to put the AG beer i whipped up last week into a keg tomorrow. It was my first attempt and I yielded about 18l of pretty strong wort from it (OG=1058, but it was supposed to be 23l@105). I also completely forgot to put my protofloc into it, so I'm expecting to have a cloudy beer at the end.

To remedy this a little, I made up some isinglass mixture from 1tsp of dried isinglass and 500ml boiled and cooled water today. I put it in my blender and gave it a whizz, it seems fairly homogeneous (nothing that can't be distilled), but it smells a bit. I'd say it was about half the smell of a Thai fish sauce.

I'm debating whether to put about 200ml of the mixture in with the carbonating sugar when I keg up the beer tomorrow. I was going to bottle but I'd like to try to get the beer to clear a little during conditioning, is this advised? Will the smelly isinglass affect the taste of the beer, which smells amazing at the moment...?

P.S. When I bought the isinglass from HBS I also went ahead and bought another few kilos of malt, yeast and hops for AG number 2, to save on postage

Old 23-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
simon12

Liked 250 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 80

What typr of keg are you using? Isinglass is used to drop the yeast and cloudyness to the dead space in the bottom of a cask so should work the same in a pressure barrel but not in a normal keg.

Old 23-09-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
johnw

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just a normal keg with a spigot at the bottom, I think I'll just leave it and bottle it as-is. I might leave it for another week