Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Thinking of starting again

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 22-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
BeerisGOD

Liked 242 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
If you ferment for three weeks and condition for a full two months. All of this will add time into the process and will mean that you won't stockpile loads of beer. If you just bottle then you can not drink for long periods and your beer will just get better. I only drink Friday night and Saturday or if I have I have a day off and I really look forward to and really enjoy my beers when I do drink. I loaded up the fridge tonight and can't wait for tomorrow night.
same as. be surprised how quick they go still. a partial mash helps bump them up. and don't give many away
LarryF Likes This 
Old 22-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
hamster

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Only have 1 corny keg at a time... Or brew and place in bottles. Limit the amount of bottles you have and thus beer at anytime...

Tbh sounds like restrain is needed no matter what as you can always buy more gear to produce more
GerritT Likes This 
Old 25-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
destroido

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This will probably sound a bit mad, but instead of brewing a big batch and drinking it before starting the next. I now brew weekly 1 gallon batches (6-7 bottles), trying different recipes every time and just brew big batches every now and then so there is something if I just fancy a drink. I prefer the brewing process as the hobby instead of the drinking.
GerritT Likes This 
Old 25-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Liked 960 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1802

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfr42 View Post
I've found alternating a dark beer or something else that needs a long condition with my hoppy brews helps.

I bottled my Xmas brew at the start of Feb and have allowed myself just a bottle a month to see how it has been developing.
+1

I did my east vs west end of jan. - and I have a great selection of dark ales and a saison for xmas. But i should also have a duval-ish beer ready as well just bottled that.

Name-style-abv%- bottles

Duvalex - 100% extract triple-8.55% - 53
Ale Cid - golden ale/cider hybrid-6.7% - 38
Who's Garden? - belgian wit-5.58% - 10
Working hard in the yard - american wit-5.2% - 6
Seasons to be cheerful pt 2 -Saison-7% - 15
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad-12.86% - 11
East vs West - Belgian RIS-9% - 28
Risky Business II-8.2%- 10

Xmas 2017 - 6ea.

Stealth triple-7.22%
Ris-ky business-10.37%
Sleighed in Belgium-9.3%
King Kong-12.86%

Old 27-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
mmaguy41

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Had a chat with my former brew buddy, he still has most of his brewing kit, so we are going to get together and knock out a biab at October half term ( he’s a teacher ) going to go for one of the hbc mash kits to keep it simple this time round

Old 27-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Covrich
Sith Acolyte
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1373 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Send a message via AIM to Covrich Send a message via MSN to Covrich

I would brew in 10 L batches, this would keep it down because you will have to have more brew days to kepe the volume up.. It also makes it easier to brew at that volume with equipment and what not

Longhorn American IPA
True lager
Small left over Pale expermients

Fermenting / Conditioning

Old Sick / Sour hen
Turbo Cider

Drinking

Blackcat (Black IPA) AG 5.6%
Weize Guy Kristalwiezen 5%
Steam Punk (Steam Beer) AG.. 5%

Old 28-09-2017, 06:04 AM   #17
GerritT

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaguy41 View Post
Had a chat with my former brew buddy, he still has most of his brewing kit, so we are going to get together and knock out a biab at October half term ( he’s a teacher ) going to go for one of the hbc mash kits to keep it simple this time round
Good choice. How long have the both of you been out of brewing? I can't imagine losing much of the knowhow and experience of brewing. After all: it's only cooking (okay, with an absurd amount of sanitation, a bit different then), what could go wrong?

Old 28-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #18
mmaguy41

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Think it’s around 3/4 years now, I still remember everything I knew then (unless I’ve forgotten it.....) just wanted to take this time to get familiar with the process again, also his brew kit will need a good steam clean etc so time saved on weighing out grain etc is a bonus

Old 28-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #19
The Idiot

Liked 196 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Go for sours and wild brews. Up to three years conditioning and lots of fun with experimentation.