Re-dosing dried yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mguthriem

Reaction score
So, my temp sensor fell off while I was out of town and my beer ended up getting cooked!

This was 2 weeks after primary ferm finished, and it tasted fine, so I thought all was well and bottled it. But now it’s not carbing and I’m wondering if I pasteurised the yeast.

Anyway, my plan is to rehydrate a packet of 11g S05 in around 30ml warm water. Leave 10 mins and Mix well. Then dose 0.5ml into reach bottle and reseal.

Any comments on this strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How have you calculated the amount to add, and what will the resulting carbonation level be for this amount?

My calculation was simply to recreate the original amount of yeast (1 11g packet distributed over the batch). Then I’m counting on the sugar dosage to control the final vol of CO2.

I'd suggest as long as the batch didn't exceed 40Ëšc, you've not killed the yeast.

Can you explain your priming process? Do you batch prime? Add sugar per bottle? And how long has it been since you did this?

I don’t think I exceeded 40C. I batch primed, with a boiled and cooled syrup of sugar and water, which I stirred in gently. They’ve since been at 20C for 2 days. I agree not a long time, but My test plastic bottle shows no evidence of pressure developing.

Perhaps I should just give it longer? Actually no harm in this.

They’ve since been at 20C for 2 days. I agree not a long time, but My test plastic bottle shows no evidence of pressure developing. Perhaps I should just give it longer? Actually no harm in this.

I've opened bottles after a week and they're still essentially flat, only to find a couple weeks more and they're perfectly carbonated.

I don't even bother testing until after 3 weeks now.

Definitely leave them alone. Put a couple in the fridge in about 2-3 weeks, and enjoy a few days after.

Patience is the friend of the home brewer. Two days to carb up is not enough.
Just keep your bottles in their warm place and forget about them for another two weeks.
You should then find your test bottle has carbed up, I find most beers have fully carbed by then, even beers that have been packaged nearly clear.
However if your test bottle is still unpressurised you might have a problem.

I've got a batch from last week under the bed and they're still quite soft. I've only ever found one batch making the bottles going really hard and that was due to a a substantial dose of priming sugar so I wouldn't say hardness is a great measure of carbonation either.

I'll usually try one after a week, find itl ightly carbed and usually well carbed by two weeks. But the flavour generally improves after six weeks ( whenever I can get some to last that long!)

Hi All, so it's now day 4 and there is *definitely* pressure in my test bottle now. So, you were all right! Patience solved the problem :)

Latest posts

Back