punk ipa is it as good is it was?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bottle last week for the first time in ages and I really enjoyed it, not sure how much of a difference freshness makes?

I think that's probably it. They've recently spoken about implementing a cold supply chain to ensure that their beer is as fresh as possible once it reaches its destination. How it is stored once it reaches stores is another matter, and pretty much out of their control.

There are many things you can say about BrewDog but they do really care about the quality of their beer.

I made the mistake of trying a greenking IPA once
icon_e_surprised.gif
Good heavens why? Had the pub run out of beer?

I think the hop taste has changed but I can't work out if that's my palate or the beer. It seems less crisp now and more musty.

I think it depends on the hop harvest each year though. There have been years where home brewers say certain hops taste a bit **** and have the onion taste I keep banging on about. One I started tasting that it ruined a lot of beers!

I know this thread was from a while ago but I've just had a bottle (first for some time) and it's not as I remember. Less aroma, lower hop flavour and less 'punch'.

I know this thread was from a while ago but I've just had a bottle (first for some time) and it's not as I remember. Less aroma, lower hop flavour and less 'punch'.

I haven't had punk for a while now, but my friend had it for the first time in a long time as well and asked me if they changed the recipe for the same reasons. He wasn't sure if the recipe changed or his tastes have as punk is quite middle of the road now.

FWIW ...I had a free pint of it in one of their pubs, first I’ve ever had, and the aroma was like putting your nose in a bag of hops, rather bitter (obvs) but smoothly bitter, and all in all a very nice refreshing pint.

I tried it a few times recently in the weatherspoons (after not having it for ages) and thought its lost alot of flavour even to how remember it not being that great in the past.

I was never a big fan of it - I think a lot of Brewdog beer had a very 'brewdog signature taste' - it might have been the Simcoe hop, it might have been something else - but I could have told you I was drinking a brewdog beer in a blindfold test.

I think it's an OK pint now - maybe it has toned down a bit or my tastes have changed where its not as offensive as I previously found it.

Had my free one last night. Mrs prog99 was convinced it was nanny state. I'm sure its better in bottles/cans?

As an aside, Very big moose was very good.

Last time I was in spoons I had some punk, I also got a pint of shipyard pale and I actually preferred the shipyard.
I was shocked how bland the punk was

Cheers. Tom

I couldn't agree more with the fact it's went bland. When it was first released it was floral, hoppy and you knew you were drinking a decent beer. Had a pint in Brewdog Newcastle last week and I asked if they'd poured me the wrong one it was that bland!

Latest posts

Back