Old Ale - No Head At All

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently brewed an Old Ale and tried for the first time last night. The ale absolutely no head at all and reminded more of the look of a pint of Cola than beer as soon as it had been poured.

I did add a generous amount of malted oats to the brew which I understood aided head retention. All in all, the beer seemed very thin. The flavours are there and there is a little carbonation, but just no head at all. It had been conditioning for roughly 2.5 months.

Any ideas what could cause a lack of head?

That indeed make very interesting reading and something I'd have never considered.

In our house we've recently started using Fairy liquid only - it is better after all and last longer like it says on the bottle! Could this be the culprit perhaps? When I think about it, head retention seems to have varied over recent times with each pour of various brews. I always put this down to the type of glass I was using.

This is definitely something to think about.

Nothing I've brewed so far has had any sort of head... but being a southerner, that doesn't bother me so much.

Back