back sweetening

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cnelsonplumber

Hi
I have just put the little yeasties to sleep on my latest batch of wine. The target SG is 0.995 and it's pretty close although it is a little dry for Julia's palate (and mine). I have read somewhere on the forum how to alter the SG by a measured amount and I can't find it even through search. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

To sweeten by 5 points, e.g. 0.995 up to 1.000 needs around 2.5 oz sugar to the gallon, or 15g to the litre.

Alternatively, 50ml grape juice added to the bottle will give the same sort of rise.

Just to clarify, are you saying 50ml grape juice added to a 75cl bottle of wine?

What is the difference between dry, medium, and sweet in terms of points. ie is .995 dry, 1.000 medium, 1005 sweet?

bigred said:
Just to clarify, are you saying 50ml grape juice added to a 75cl bottle of wine?
Yes :thumb:

As a rough guide I would class 1.010+ as sweet, 1.005 = medium-sweet, 1.000 = medium, 0.995 = medium-dry, 0.990 = dry.

Hi Ive got a Q regarding sweetening,

is the sweetener/juice flavour different from the fruit sugar in the must?

i only ask as ive been making WOW and wondered if the orange fructose in the just the same flavour as canderelle etc.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. I believe Canderel is an aspartame/acesulfame based artificial sweetener, contains no fructose and shouldn't really impart much flavour. I do have a pack of Splenda and can see that is predominantly maltodextrin (non-fermentable starch-based sugar) with 1% sucralose (google it yourself).

Any fruit sugars in your must will be fermented out, although your wine may retain hints of the fruit flavours. However, most of that will also be lost and a finished Wurzel's Orange doesn't particularly taste of oranges.

If you ferment your wines out to dryness and don't wish to stabilise, you can sweeten the taste with Canderel or Splenda.

If you stabilise to prevent any further fermentation, then you can add sugar or fruit juice. Any fruit flavours you add at this point will be retained, so you can add red or white grape juice or any complementary clear juice.

Play around, adding different juices or High Juice cordials to the bottle or glass.

Latest posts

Back