Overnight mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I want to get up early to both watch the rugby and to start up a 15l brew. I was wondering if I could either mash in the mashtun overnight or at least strain the wort off and do the boil the next day. Would leaving the grain mashing for that long have any adverse effects is terms of extracting unwaned tannins?

I think longer mash times can lead to thinner bodied beers so it probably goes hand in hand with style of beer and the temperature of the mash being used.

I say, give it a go and if it produces good drinkable beer then you're on to something. If you are trying to produce the best wort you can - maybe for a competition - then I don't think I would risk it.

I notice the batch sparge mash profiles on Beersmith have different times and temps for low, medium and full bodied beers.

I'm going for an American Pale Ale so I don't think that would be ideal. I may just bite the bullet and set my alarm for 7:30 tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back