Wine Homebrew Logging Software

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozza2010

Reaction score
Hi,

After doing a bit of digging around for some software to record my brews and either found confusing spreadsheets or over complicated applications which where aimed more at the commercial brewer.

So I decided to make my own and thought I would share it on here as its completely free.

Positive or negative feedback would be more than welcome.

http://www.rosebywebdesign.co.uk/Roseby ... ublish.htm

Any problems let me know.

This looks great :) Have just downloaded and will be using it to record my brews :) Thank you so much for sharing, I can work my way around a computer sort of, but could never come up with something like this :)

Glad you like the look of it.

I have got some extra things to add in but im hoping the basics are there.

If you have any ideas of extra functionality you think would be useful let me know.

Just downloaded and it looks great, This will come in handy I am sure.

Can I ask a couple of questions about the program please?

Why does clicking on the ingredients button on the top left make a new tab and keep doing do each time press it?

Would it be possible to add default values (Temp of hydro reading for a start) in a settings box?

Are you able to make an iPhone app that could sync with the desktop app? If so you would be onto a winner I think!!

Super little program though and I will move my brews onto it tonight I think

yellafella said:
Why does clicking on the ingredients button on the top left make a new tab and keep doing do each time press it?

I will get this fixed.

yellafella said:
Would it be possible to add default values (Temp of hydro reading for a start) in a settings box?

Are you able to make an iPhone app that could sync with the desktop app? If so you would be onto a winner I think!!

I will add some default values to see if it will help.

I was going to make an Windows Phone 7 version as I dont have an iPhone, but it would be possible. The thing that has stopped me so far is that I would have to charge for the mobile apps. Which is why I have thought of creating a mobile friendly website version.

Thanks
Paul

It looks great :clap: :)

Just a couple of small things... (aren't there always :whistle: )

At the moment you have selections for start and bottling dates. Could you add an intermediary for racking?

I'll come back with more, once I've had a chance to play around with it a little.

Many thanks for doing this though, I'm sure I'll use it a lot!

Hi

Just downloaded your program and bunged in the first batch. Good concept and execution, so thumbs up from me. And thanks.

Might have found a wee bug or two though: My total sugar is NaNg, so obviously something I input isn't liked by the software. Also notice that although the grape juice is 14g/100ml when I add 1L of it the sugars stay at 14g... Also some edit functions on the Ingredients wouldn't go amiss - either for the recipe of the master list of ingredients. And while I'm being a needy basterd how about an undelete? I nobbled one of my ingredients from the list and it's gone forever - except it's still on the recipe so even if I add it back in to the master list it's a different thing....

But otherwise great piece of software. What's it written in?

Just downloaded, looks like a neat little app.

Found a bug, not sure if it's been posted previously, but if you go tools and change your calibration temp to 20 degrees, it still corrects all your readings as if the calibration temp is 15...

Just downloaded and had a little play. Quite interesting so far.

Is it possible to edit the batch number? I entered some details for a wine I started on 23rd September, my batch number 1216, but your batch number appears to be set at the date and time when I requested a new page.

I mix my units and would like to be able to enter a fruit weight in pounds with sugar content expressed as a percentage, but totals still in metric. For example: 12lbs of Elderberries at 11.5% sugar content = 626g sugar (12 x 16 x .115 x 28.35).

I would like to see dates expanded to starting, straining, rack 1, rack 2, rack 3, filtration and bottling. Juice wines might only use start, rack 1, filter and bottle but country reds might use all except filtration.

My paper notes also include cost of ingredients, yield (number of bottles) and unit cost.

I got this far:
I have just started a Winebuddy 30 bottle sauvignon blanc. I entered sg 1080 at 30 c, which got corrected to 1071, when, according to my table, should be 1083, because a warm solution is less dense than a cold one. The ingredients are grape juice concentrate, sugar and water. The gjc typically has about 60 g sugar per 100 g and the quantity with this kit is 1 litre. 4 kg of sugar is required and the total liquid is 23 litres. Try running this data and see what you come up with!

Cheers for pointing that one out. Ill have a look into it.

If I remember correctly the algorithm I used was one which I got online and was pretty confusing lol

Is it possible to edit the batch number? I entered some details for a wine I started on 23rd September, my batch number 1216, but your batch number appears to be set at the date and time when I requested a new page.

I mix my units and would like to be able to enter a fruit weight in pounds with sugar content expressed as a percentage, but totals still in metric. For example: 12lbs of Elderberries at 11.5% sugar content = 626g sugar (12 x 16 x .115 x 28.35).

I would like to see dates expanded to starting, straining, rack 1, rack 2, rack 3, filtration and bottling. Juice wines might only use start, rack 1, filter and bottle but country reds might use all except filtration.

My paper notes also include cost of ingredients, yield (number of bottles) and unit cost.

Cheer Moley, I did intend to allow multiple units. Initially I didn't want to make it too confusing. As it took me ages to simplify the ingredients part (i.e. having liquid, solids and chemicals) although its still seams complicated lol.

The extra information is no problem to add. I might stick those in the settings so you can choose to store that extra information or not.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback

I got this far:
I have just started a Winebuddy 30 bottle sauvignon blanc. I entered sg 1080 at 30 c, which got corrected to 1071, when, according to my table, should be 1083, because a warm solution is less dense than a cold one. The ingredients are grape juice concentrate, sugar and water. The gjc typically has about 60 g sugar per 100 g and the quantity with this kit is 1 litre. 4 kg of sugar is required and the total liquid is 23 litres. Try running this data and see what you come up with!

I have corrected the hydrometer corrector, I had accidently mixed up Fahrenheit with Celsius. Although it does round the reading up, so it ends up being 1.084

If you load the software up from your pc again, hopefully you should be prompted to download the latest update??

Thats very cool! Here's another, fairly simple algorythm to consider. I use a refractometer to monitor grape sugar. It uses the Brix measure. This equates to the percentage of sugar by weight, so 17 brix is about sg 1070 and 9,2 potential abv. The factor is about 1.8.
Another important factor is acidity, which can be measured as total acidity, in terms of sulphuric or tartaric acid, as a percentage and determined by titration and also in terms of pH. The relationship between the 2 is beyond my grasp! In simple terms, the wine can be tart, bland or just about right and their are conflicting opinions as to whether acidity increases or decreases during fermentation. Logging changes in this would be useful, but this could be done in notes, which is what I already do with pen and paper!

Hi

I've just downloaded this and had a little play. So far, really impressed, just what I was looking for and a lot easier than keeping paper notes all over the place. So thanks!

Just going back to a point raised above regarding showing nil sugar content once ingredients are input; I had the same problem with my forst batch input (ginger) but my second seemed to be showing the sugar value, so not sure whats going on there?

Hi extremedalek,

Any chance you could send me a screen shot of your ingredients etc? ill pm you my email address

Latest posts

Back