Mash water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fugglehead

Reaction score
I live in a soft water area. Planning on doing an all-grain mash soon. I'm just using pale malt and hops. Is it worth putting burton water salts in, and if so how much. I don't know the chemical make up of my tap water, but assume that it is soft as soap lathers very easily. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You need as Rich says get a water report however you will alos need to get a Carbonate hardness reading using a salifert test kit (available from aquarium shops or ebay) once you have all the figures use the forum calculator top left and that will tell you exactly what you need for the type of water you have and the type of beer you are brewing. :thumb:

Thanks. Tried putting my postcode into the site but unfortunately it's coming back that there is no information for my postcode. Guess I'll have to write to my water co. Will try to get a water testing kit tho'. Thanks for the info.

Fugglehead said:
Thanks. Tried putting my postcode into the site but unfortunately it's coming back that there is no information for my postcode. Guess I'll have to write to my water co. Will try to get a water testing kit tho'. Thanks for the info.

I phoned my water supplier ( Portsmouth Water ) up - they put me through to the labs who emailed me a water report within about an hour :thumb:

Have finally managed to find an online water report for my area. All the relevant mineral readings seem to be there but there doesn't seem to be an alkalinity score. There is however a "total hardness" figure. Is this the same thing and can I use it on the calculator?

thnx didnt realise the local councils could be bothered-thought they would ignore me, might give it a go someday. i havent really bothered yet cos i reckon as long as the beer keeps coming out good i'll work on other things before i mess with the water-besides in scotland i reckon everything close to edinburgh (or dundee) as edinburghs water profile and i like me wee malty beers :thumb: however if by some fluke someone knows dundees water profile i would be very grateful to save the email :)

Latest posts

Back