Plate heat exchangers as wort chillers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXnMe

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of thinking, yes, that's the odd noise you've been hearing ;)

To my way of thinking a counterflow wort chiller is simply a heat exchanger, now looking at eBay I can see half a dozen of them, secondhand, for about a third the cost the parts to build a counterflow chiller..

So, has anyone used one? Are there any drawbacks using them?

The ones I'm looking at are usually in the 750 ~ 1,000 watt capacity bracket for around £20 with the fittings.

I'm thinking get two, link them together in series and voila, counter flow wort chiller without all the floppy pipework needing a box.

I'm assuming the things are copper or stainless, or they'd go rusty in use (I'll check before buying) so they should be reasonably easy to clean out after use :)

tazuk said:
have a look at this post may help

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31301

Thanks for that, very useful :)

Looks like I'll be parting with a couple of quid to get old of a plate heat exchanger :) Hopefully be able to get a second hand bolt up one, that way if it clogs up I can open it up and clean it out rather than either chucking it, or trying to dissolve the blockage with some nasty chemicals :)

Back