My current favourite recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to update you with my current favourite recipe. By the way Moley, I/we are trying to let our products mature for at least 4 weeks before we start to consume them but it is difficult to *not* enjoy them! I do find there are cetain fruits, such as strawberries, that need at least 2 months for the 'black sediment' to fall from the wine.

My new favourite recipe or variation is as follows....

Using a Youngs 25L (actual volume is around 30L but please leave space for expansion/growth/eruptions!) fermentation vessel.

1 portion (200-500g) frozen raspberries/summer fruits/forest fruits.
1Kg sugar dissolved in 1 litre of your fruit juice with your portion of frozen fruit boiled until soft/dissolved.

3Kg sugar. (additional to the previous kilogram) into the vessel with the sugar/juice/frozen fruit syrup.
4 litres boiling water stirred in vessel until sugar is dissolved.
11-13 litres grape juice. If you want red wine then use red grape juice. If you want white then use white grape juice. If you want rose then decide how much colour you want and add that ratio of white/red grape juice!!!!!

Sometimes I add Wilko grape concentrate of the desired colour to add some body to the wine although adding the fruit does this as well.

Top up with cold water to 25 or 27 litres. If the temperature is below 24C then you could take a hydrometer reading and record the starting gravity ( you will need this to find the % ABV later) then add 1tsp yeast, 1tsp pectolase, 1 tsp nutrient.

Put in a place off the floor so it isn't cold (unless your Summer temperatures are less than 24-25 and your Winter temperatures are greater than 16C), but not above 25C (unless your yeast says so) ideally 18-22C and leave until the hydrometer reads less than 996.

You can also add glycerine at any point to add a certain viscosity or 'mouth' feel to your brew. For a 25L fermentation I would add a maximum of 4 small bottles (the kind you find on the baking shelf) but usually one would be adequet and most times I do not bother now as the fruit seems to add everything I want.

I like my wine strong and dry so I like a starting gravity of 1086+ and finishing gravity of 994 and lower, preferably 990.

When the wine has reached the EG (End Gravity, 998-990) you will need to 'rack' then wine. This means syphoning the wine in to a vessel or several vessels and leaving the sediment behind.

As I have several FVs(fermentation vessels) I syphon first and then use wine clear, then rack the wine as necessary, some need 1 re-rack but some are ready to decant/syphon/pour in to the final bottles!

Depending on the fruit you use it can take 1-9 months to clear the wine.

All the best,

Diesel1.

Any question should be pointed to me as soon as possible!!!!!!! :whistle:

Back