1 week in warm, 1 week in cold then...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hong

Reaction score
As above after bottling, where is the best place to keep beer after this?

you need one week warm and then one week cold per 10 points of gravity. So a 1040 beer has 10 points of gravity and will need 4 weeks in the cold. After that it's up to you but i leave mine somewhere cool. :thumb:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to ask a quick question.

Am I correct in thinking that a 1050 beer would be drinkable, yet far from its best, if drunk after:
2 weeks in FV,
1 week warm in bottle, and
2 weeks cold in bottle

I am desperate to try my AG1 this Friday!!!

Robbo100 said:

Am I correct in thinking that a 1050 beer would be drinkable, yet far from its best, if drunk after:
2 weeks in FV,
2 weeks cold in bottle

If you have plenty of bottles just drink some now and on Friday and the week after :)

I have invited some mates back for a special tasting, so I hope it isn't too bad!!!!

IMO you need 2 weeks in the warm. That way you can be pretty certain that the yeast has done its thing regardless of temperature fluctuations (as long as they don't swing too much).

If you do it at one week constantly, and get it under-carbonating you may find yourself adding more priming sugar. Which is fine, as long as it doesn't ferment out, as if it does you may end up wearing some of your pint.

ScottM said:
IMO you need 2 weeks in the warm. That way you can be pretty certain that the yeast has done its thing regardless of temperature fluctuations (as long as they don't swing too much).

If you do it at one week constantly, and get it under-carbonating you may find yourself adding more priming sugar. Which is fine, as long as it doesn't ferment out, as if it does you may end up wearing some of your pint.
thats usually what I do, at least 10 days in the warm then out to the shed. always use coopers carbonation drops and get perfect carbonation every time.

Robbo100 said:

2 weeks in FV,
2 weeks cold in bottle

no it's 5 weeks cold in bottle conditioning time starts from here , p.s i would give it longer than 1 week in warm as some brews struggle to carb in time .

I always do 2 weeks warm and at least 2weeks cold then store in a cool place (I use my kitchen floor as its tiled)

pittsy said:
Robbo100 said:

2 weeks in FV,
2 weeks cold in bottle

no it's 5 weeks cold in bottle conditioning time starts from here , p.s i would give it longer than 1 week in warm as some brews struggle to carb in time .

I understood the advice, but was asking if there is any chance that my brew might be drinkable earlier.

I assumed that the week per 10 gravity points was more to do with flavour and wondered if it would be Ok, even if not brilliant, after the shorter conditioning time?

Robbo100 said:
pittsy said:
Robbo100 said:

2 weeks in FV,
2 weeks cold in bottle

I understood the advice, but was asking if there is any chance that my brew might be drinkable earlier.

I assumed that the week per 10 gravity points was more to do with flavour and wondered if it would be Ok, even if not brilliant, after the shorter conditioning time?

If its an all grain brew then it will be drinkable after 3 weeks but probably not at its best. I'm drinking a bottle of bitter i bottled on 23/01/13, its very drinkable but will get better with age!

Latest posts

Back