Alcotec Spirit 5ltr

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I've not used this kit, I am using Alcotec products for my first High Alcohol Brew.
12 days now, it’s slowed down but shows no sign of stopping just yet!

Been given a fair few pointers from mm707, viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39078

Look forward to hearing how you get on. :cheers:

I'm currently making a batch of this (actually, as soon as I finish typing this I'm going to rack it) and so far so good. The kit comes with liquid activated carbon which I'm told effectively removes the nasty flavours leaving you with a pretty decent tasting (half strength) spirit, although I'm not entirely convinced I won't have a black mess at the end of it, despite the huge amount of finings provided!
Also after three weeks I've got around 17% ABV which is a bit less than the 20% advertised, but given that my OG was a bit low and the temperature has probably been too warm that's not too bad.

Well mine was started on Sunday, truth is don't have high hopes but purely as a test will give it a go lol

Cupid_Stunt said:
Manitude - my 25ltr batch also took about 3 weeks, can I ask what your OG was :?:

OG was 1.140. SG was 1.005 (roughly) It's not quite as strong as I'd hoped for, but the temperature was perhaps a tad high.
I drank just over half a pint of the yeasty dregs last night (cleared with additional bentonite rather than superfinings) and it tastes perfectly fine with energy drink. I had a monster hangover this morning though, despite 'only' having another two pints at the pub! Tomorrow I'm going to rack off the carbon activated/super fining-ed stuff. It looks very clear in the DJ right now! It'll be a few days before I drink again though - need to let my liver recover from last night!

Manitude said:
OG was 1.140.
Cheers for that Manitude, I'll need a new hydrometer to take that sort of reading; it’s off the scale.

This “Bentonite” sounds interesting, I'll look into that. :thumb:

Cupid_Stunt said:
Manitude said:
OG was 1.140.
Cheers for that Manitude, I'll need a new hydrometer to take that sort of reading; it’s off the scale.

This “Bentonite” sounds interesting, I'll look into that. :thumb:
It's almost off the scale for mine too. I happened to get mine from my dad: twenty/thirty years ago he was a home brewer too, but got rid of most of his nice equipment except for the hydrometer!

Bentonite is decent for clearing and quite cheap. I find it does impart a somewhat unpleasant flavour though, which is only a problem if your drink is very slightly flavoured.

Hey. I did a 5 gallon batch of the vodka kit awhile ago . I was worried about how it would turn out and put a post about 'how long it takes the carbon to settle . After racking off and adding the finings it soon cleared and then after a final racking into djs it is now crystal clear . The taste does improve a bit over time but I still wouldn't drink it neat . I drink it with lots of ice n fizzy pop. My advice is not too rush any stage whatsoever . If you're unsure when to rack then leave it for a few more days . Mine was clearing on its own then when I added the liquid carbon sachet I thought there was no way it was going to clear from being that black soup but it turned out good in the end . I've found that a ratio of 50/50 spirit base with pop is best . I hope yours turns out ok ;)

Niklas said:
Hey. I did a 5 gallon batch of the vodka kit awhile ago . I was worried about how it would turn out and put a post about 'how long it takes the carbon to settle . After racking off and adding the finings it soon cleared and then after a final racking into djs it is now crystal clear . The taste does improve a bit over time but I still wouldn't drink it neat . I drink it with lots of ice n fizzy pop. My advice is not too rush any stage whatsoever . If you're unsure when to rack then leave it for a few more days . Mine was clearing on its own then when I added the liquid carbon sachet I thought there was no way it was going to clear from being that black soup but it turned out good in the end . I've found that a ratio of 50/50 spirit base with pop is best . I hope yours turns out ok ;)
I was doubtful about the carbon sachet clearing, too! Surprisingly it only took about half an hour for the finings to start working. Currently mine is almost completely clear, with a very light dusting of carbon on the bottom. Tastes fine when mixed with coke or energy drink!

Back