Overnight mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfster

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I am doing a brew on Tuesday, and have been thinking about doing an overnight mash before hand. It this just for HERMS brewers?
I have an igloo 50L cooler as my mash tun.
Will it work ok for this time scale?
Do I need to do anything to my mash tun to help it?
Will batch sparging work ok in the morning?

I think I am getting good at asking silly questions! :tongue:

I've been doing overnight mashes of late and the only difference I've noticed is an increase in efficiency and a shorter brew day. Wrap the mash up warm and it'll be fine. Batch or fly sparge in the morning - whichever suits.

Overnight mashes are usually without problems. Just make sure its wrapped up well and that you can maintain your mashing temp for 2 hours. After that it doesn't matter if the temp drops ( I can loose 5-6 degrees during the night)
Certainly makes the brew day itself less of a hassle and a more relaxed day.
I recommend most folks try to do one.

yeah overnight mashes are ideal if you want to shorten your brewday the following day. sometimes I even mash and sparge the same night so all I've got to do the next day is boil the wort. just leave it overnight in a sealed fv. waking up in the morning with the smell of a mash right away is awesome!

Did this once and got somewhat more fermentable wort than usual. I plan 3 brews for this weekend, Belgian Dubbel strong ale will be mashed overnight - this beer is expected to be dry so I suppose higher fermentability will not harm. ;)

Latest posts

Back