First overnight mash.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
Was looking to brew Saturday but the wife's got the ache as it's her birthday :roll: women just don't understand, want to watch the Manchester Derby Sunday, so solution, overnight mash Saturday, boil Sunday morning, watch football Sunday afternoon. Win Win. This a new thing for me. I know a few brewers swear by it but guess it just seems "unnatural" to me.

you gotta try these things Dennis.... :D
Theres no difference to it at all, just think of it as a 12 hour mash...If not using a thermopot beef up your insulation a bit if using a thermopot theres no need. You will probably loose 10-12C overnight but as long as the first few hours are at strike temp there is no concerns.
I use a digital timer as well to get the hlt on first thing in the morning so I can continue with the mash first thing without waiting around.

Then relax and have a shorten brew day and pay some attention to your wife and the football.

I swear by the over-night mash. Short brew day + increased effieciency = what's not to like?

p.s. Are you blue or red?

I had the same feeling Dennis, until about 6 months ago. Now I only overnight mash :thumb:

I've just done my 2nd overnight last week, and it certainly reduces the brewing day, I just need some more insulation on my MT, as it drops a lot overnight, but the crucial first couple of hours are fine.
Still not sampled my first overnight brew so don't know what the result is like, but the strength was ok.

IMO if you can keep a steady temperature over a long period you're going to get the best mash efficiency and conversion you can as the process just keeps on going on.

From a commercial point of view there probably isn't much point as the vast majority of it happens in the 1st hour, but for most of us home brewers time isn't money and this method fits in very comfortably.

I would take reading of your pre boil gravity, compare it to what you would normally expect and be prepared to up your hopping regime to proportionately if you experience an increased efficiency.

My overall efficiency (into the fermenter) is about 85% using MaxiBAIB with an over night mash which loses around ½°C per hour.

Bloody ell Dennis, you have started brewing stronger beers, now doing overnight mashes, and watching united play.

Next you will be putting a sparkler on your beer engine.

Are you turning northern :hmm:

Come to think of it you were using Mancunian colloquialisms, and your wife is from
Timperly. :hmm:

You can be an honary Mancunian if you want. :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
Bloody ell Dennis, you have started brewing stronger beers, now doing overnight mashes, and watching united play.

Next you will be putting a sparkler on your beer engine.

Are you turning northern :hmm:

Come to think of it you were using Mancunian colloquialisms, and your wife is from
Timperly. :hmm:

You can be an honary Mancunian if you want. :lol: :lol:

Nah mate Essex boy through and through. Also made loads of 6%+ beers in the 80s, my liver asked me to stop.

My big concern is the grain bed temperature when I start to sparge. :hmm:

I noticed I got much clearer wort from the MT when I did long or overnight mashes. Although it has been pointed out to me that it all boils clear in the end anyway!

I've recently started doing overnight mashes and it certainly makes brewing a bit more family friendly. Only issue I had was a slight mould growth on the surface of the mash but increasing the insulation should sort that out I hope.

So when I woke the mash up this morning it had lost 15c overnight, on a normal 90 min mash it would be under 1c. Was also a pig to get going again, stuck mash. So unconvinced at the moment, boiling at the moment.

Might depend on the mash content then.
First one I did I batch sparged it, the 2nd I did a normal rotating arm sparge, will be a while before I know which was better, if either.
But then again I have NEVER had a stuck mash :thumb:

I haven't had a stuck sparge with overnight mashes. I usually drop to 53c in 16hrs but I do insulate with bubble wrap to fill the void in the tun and wrap the tun in blankets.

I find I have to raise my sparge liquor temp to 90c but that still only raises the grain bed to 65c.

Done and dusted now. Got a couple of extra gravity points. Think I will stick to my normal brewdays as it's seems less disjointed. If I'm stuck for time again can do this again.

Latest posts

Back