advice on using isinglass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minexplorer

Reaction score
hi ive just joined to ask for some advice.alough ive brewed off and on for nearly 30 years ive never really used finings and not barreled much til recently.
my question is when should you use isinglass when barreling?some say in the final keg along with presumably the priming sugar.others say the brew bucket before kegging.but add it will strip all the yeast out,so wont prime.would appreciate a difinitive answer.if any can help much appreciated.
my first few unfined barreled brews took many weeks to clear bright.so i experimented with isinglass.adding to the brew bucket when its finished fermenting then putting brew in keg with priming after couple days.i also put in a tsp of the yeast sediment to be sure.that seemed to work.very clear soon after.before the barreling i found the isinglass powder was very hard to dissolve.also noticed in brew bucket large particles that refused to settle while the beer surrounding was crystal clear.thankfully they must have settled in the keg.am i doing it right tho? regards rad

both work fine. it won't strip the yeast out at all, there's still more than enough to carbonate it. I usually fine and carbonate at the time time to avoid fiddling with the brew above everything else!

When I use isinglass, I get the ready-mixed sachets from e.g. Youngs - as you say, it can be a pain in the **** dissolving the stuff. With the sachets you just pour it in, gentle stir and leave it for a few days - although I imagine you could probably do it at bottling time as well.

Latest posts

Back