Do immersion chillers...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnc86

Reaction score
Have to be copper? I can see why copper would be beneficial for heat property's. But could you not use a big garden hose coil tied into shape? The more rigid kink free type. Would that not do the trick? I know people use them for non immersion type cooling but why not for dunking into the wort?

I was going to knock up a copper one and try my 1st extract or partial mash brew, but after spunking out for my corny keg, propper tap, co2, regulator(s).........................

Dont think I will be able to justify £50 for a copper one atm :? . Could get another good 2 can kit AND another corny for that :D .

johnc86 said:
Have to be copper? I can see why copper would be beneficial for heat property's. But could you not use a big garden hose coil tied into shape? The more rigid kink free type. Would that not do the trick? I know people use them for non immersion type cooling but why not for dunking into the wort?

I don't fancy the nasty stuff that could leach out of it to be honest. Plus, plastic is an insulator. You'll use a hell of a lot of water to cool the wort down.

Dont think I will be able to justify £50 for a copper one atm :? . Could get another good 2 can kit AND another corny for that :D .[/quote]

Twenty five quid would be more like it.

Are you planning on upgrading to all-grain or extract then?

Yes mate I am.

Extract 1st but only because I don't have the room for all the extra stuff for a grain brew at the minute. Expense too I suppose. like I say Iv got a fair bit of kit already this month. I'm happy to spend on this sort of thing, its a hobby after all. Just need to spread the cost over a few months and limit myself as to how much I get in the one month or I will just go overboard :lol: .

I like the idea of doing it outside on nice sunny summers day's. I only have a small house and I have to keep condensation to a minimum or I get all sorts of problems, so boiling 5 gallons of water for 90 minutes...... :eek: .
In the summer I can do it indoors and just open all the windows and the back door's.

By the looks of it it seems you can get started with extract brewing and produce some good results with just a boiler (Il make one), a way to cool the boiled wort (you say more like £25?), and a strainer for the boiler. Sounds OK to me.

johnc86 said:
Yes mate I am.

Good stuff.

By the looks of it it seems you can get started with extract brewing and produce some good results with just a boiler (Il make one), a way to cool the boiled wort (you say more like £25?), and a strainer for the boiler. Sounds OK to me.

Yep. A simple IC is just 10m of 10mm microbore copper.

Screwfix only seem to have it in 25m rolls at the moment though. I got my last lot from Wickes for about 20 quid.

Back