No sparge BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czechneck

Reaction score
I'm on BIAB#5 - did an Exmoor Gold clone today and got a good efficiency out of not sparging

I've worked out my water volume - 32 litres for a 25 litre batch. But this time, after reading some stuff in other forums, I decided not to sparge. I put the full 32 litres into the mash tun, and drained the bag, but did not sparge it.

To my surprise, I got a noticeable increase in efficiency - I've been around 60-63% on the previous brews but this time I was up to 69%, which is almost respectable :clap: It's also a lot quicker and less messy.

Do others here sparge on BIAB or go no sparge?

I don't do Biab but on listening to a pod cast (latest on beersmith2 ) they recommend milling your grains finer twice to get better efficiency .

Interesting - I have some way to go, clearly. I think a bigger bag is my next step.

Why would anyone go for a 3 vessel setup if it's possible to get 80%+ efficiency with BIAB?

I'm a no sparger also ...well I only batch sparge and don't fly sparge when I biab .
I also use around 32l for a 23l brew :thumb:

Andy

czechneck said:
...Why would anyone go for a 3 vessel setup if it's possible to get 80%+ efficiency with BIAB?

Because in brewing beer high efficiency isn't the highest priority and not actually beneficial to the end product. You may get 80%+ efficiency but is the end result better than someone who spends a few more pence on grain to hit the same numbers with 75% efficiency.

If your goal is to make beer as cheap as possible then yes chase efficiency. However, if you want to improve the end product then look at the other factors that affect the mash.

Oh and by the way I BIAB, I get good efficiency but keep recipes to 75% and liqour back. I am planning to upgrade to a 3V system with brew lengths too big to lift a bag.

I do one 6l batch of sparge water. It adds no time to the brew day since I do it whilst waiting for the bulk to reach a boil. I get around 10% increase in efficiency this way. The beer quality is the same, it's just less wastefull and means I can get gravities in the mid 1050s without having to buy a crane to lift the bag :grin:

I do a dunk sparge, I use a 33l boiler for BIAB and can't quite get the full volume in to start with if I was going for full mash. I also find efficiency is better.

Latest posts

Back