Home Brew Forum Competition Schedule & Style Guide.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can do the Belgian Ales in March?

Got a stout fermenting for January and a IPA for October (hopefully will have conditioned in time).:thumb:

Great idea lads! :thumb:

Yep, I can't amend the original post anymore, @MyQul or @Chippy_Tea could you edit the post and put AlanManley against Belgians in March 17 please?

If you need my address for the October comp drop me a PM.

I'm interested to know that if I were to use Pale Malt brewed without hops and bittered differently and fermented with say bread yeast,what category does this fall under if at all?
Just curious.Cheers.

I'm interested to know that if I were to use Pale Malt brewed without hops and bittered differently and fermented with say bread yeast,what category does this fall under if at all?
Just curious.Cheers.

Aug-17 Experimental seems the most obvious candidate to me but it could well fit in with pale ales which is this month?

Just curious.Cheers.

Have you made it? How does it fit in with the style guides?

So I'm guessing only AG brewers enter the comp as it is considered a much better quality beer.

As I have only just started brewing and my time is limited is there a kit only competition, and if not would any kit brewers be up for it?

Jake

So I'm guessing only AG brewers enter the comp as it is considered a much better quality beer.

As I have only just started brewing and my time is limited is there a kit only competition, and if not would any kit brewers be up for it?

Jake

It's open to all.

It's made OK but it's one of those that you'll love it hate plus the fact that it's a seasonal beer which is why I'm wondering.The definition of an ale is a beer traditionally brewed with hops which this quite surely not and as DoctorMick has stated and I think he is right that it should be experimental although is it possible that due to the four seasons should there be a seasonal category or would they be classed as experimental.Just asking.
Sent from my ALE-L21

It's made OK but it's one of those that you'll love it hate plus the fact that it's a seasonal beer which is why I'm wondering.The definition of an ale is a beer traditionally brewed with hops which this quite surely not and as DoctorMick has stated and I think he is right that it should be experimental although is it possible that due to the four seasons should there be a seasonal category or would they be classed as experimental.Just asking.
Sent from my ALE-L21

Late to this but beer was ale with hops
Ale was beer without hops

Ale might be flavoured with all sorts of stuff. See medieval ale recipes, fraoch, Swedish ale bittered with bogbean. A category for non-hopped ale might go down. Or even including hopped and with other flavours (pumpkin - :sick: )

Winter Warmer, Old Ale, Christmas Ale etc, are variants of Strong Ale. There could be a category for Strong Ale at a relevant time of the year, which should take care of some of the seasonal beers.

If we've lost someone I'm happy to move forward from Belgium Ales in March... if we haven't lost someone no problem. 😁

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in judging at some point....

I have an entry planned for the experimental brews so brown ales may be my best bet (not sure what swmbo has for the summer).

Is it possible to put me down for the August/experimental comp. It would make an interesting topic for our homebrew club to do some judging, one of our lads is a qualified judge, and one is a professional brewer. And some of the others brew some weird and wonderful beers, so the experimental category would be a good choice for us.

Is it possible to put me down for the August/experimental comp. It would make an interesting topic for our homebrew club to do some judging, one of our lads is a qualified judge, and one is a professional brewer. And some of the others brew some weird and wonderful beers, so the experimental category would be a good choice for us.

No worries, and again please @Chippy_Tea :)

Back