Festive spirit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger, been in 3 shops looking for mulled wine tea bags, to no avail grrr

Have some cloves, star anise, nutmeg and mixed spice at home though... might have to do home made job

Have all the rest of the stuff

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bugger, been in 3 shops looking for mulled wine tea bags, to no avail grrr

Have some cloves, star anise, nutmeg and mixed spice at home though... might have to do home made job

Have all the rest of the stuff

Asda ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be ... bothered now, probably have it in there too... might start my raspberry wow then see if I want to hold off on the TC.... in the mood to brew... NOW 😈😈😈

Can't be ... bothered now, probably have it in there too... might start my raspberry wow then see if I want to hold off on the TC.... in the mood to brew... NOW [emoji48][emoji48][emoji48]

Lmao - if you can bare to wait mate and can't get any I'm more than happy to pick you some up and post [emoji106]

in case it help others the Tesco I went to looked the mulled wine spice up on the computer and said it was out of stock...... I checked the spice section anyway, and sure enough there it was. Always worth looking in the alcohol and spice sections if you get as far as the store....

Ah I was in Tesco too, and the bloke told me the same thing... should have gone and had a look for myself 😕

Having been away with work I checked my mulled TC in the cellar last night. Day 5 after brewing and it was bubbling away nicely even at only 13 degrees. Remarkably more active fermentation then the cider I made with apples last month - the TC has no Campdens and added pectolase - these are the two differences I can think of that might explain the more active fermentation. I have some demijohns coming this week so I hope to able to allow to clear in secondary and avoid the mistake I made with the apple cider - which cleared post bottling and I now have a load of sediment - still drinks fine though !

Racked to secondary yesterday. Hydrometer says 1.004. I think fermentation is done - will bottle the first 5l in the next couple of days. I added a Campden to the 10l that I plan to bulk age for longer.

Racked to secondary yesterday. Hydrometer says 1.004. I think fermentation is done - will bottle the first 5l in the next couple of days. I added a Campden to the 10l that I plan to bulk age for longer.

I've been supping this one today while putting lights trees and what ever else swmbo instructs ! Very quaffable !! [emoji6]

mine are nicely carbed and 90% clear, so stowed them way in the cupboard under the stairs to finish clearing for the rest of the week.... taste test at the weekend :)

bottled my first batch yesterday with a tsp of priming sugar per 500ml. Fermentation all done at 1.004. Bit disappointed with taste if I am honest - not that much spice and a whiff of plastic as you put the glass up to your lips. Not sure what causes that - maybe the supermarket juice. Hopefully it well mellow a bit in the bottles - will see how quickly they clear now that they are stashed in the cellar.

Cracked it open last night. Unfortunately the slight plastic whiff / aftertaste is still there but after one sip you stop noticing, and it is not a bad Christmas drink. 2 500ml bottles just about finished me off though.....

update. this was a nice drink over Christmas. it is definitely improving with time in the bottles and I still have about 7 litres left once the dry January is over. Lessons for next year:
1 - Make it earlier. As my FVs will be (hopefully) taken up with apple cider around October I plan to make this in Aug / Sept. Should then be nicely mature for Christmas.
2 - Take recipie above and add some fresh ginger when boiling up. I read elsewhere it gives TC a nice bite, and I think ginger would go really well here.

update. this was a nice drink over Christmas. it is definitely improving with time in the bottles and I still have about 7 litres left once the dry January is over. Lessons for next year:
1 - Make it earlier. As my FVs will be (hopefully) taken up with apple cider around October I plan to make this in Aug / Sept. Should then be nicely mature for Christmas.
2 - Take recipie above and add some fresh ginger when boiling up. I read elsewhere it gives TC a nice bite, and I think ginger would go really well here.

Sounds good mate. TBH I'm sticking with the mulled tea bag method , I made a 25L and it was a massive hit over Christmas and New year.

As the bottles matured the cloves came out stronger but definitely a recipe I won't be Changing.

I'm now focusing my thoughts on a Easter themed beverage - just can't find a theme yet lol !!

glad your batch went down so well. I will certainly stick with the mulled sachets - will just add some ginger as well as the Orange.

racking my brains about easter.......

[ame]https://vimeo.com/198492579[/ame]

Still got a a few bottles of this rattling around the beer fridge ! Have to say - gets better with age for sure !
Fizz is awesome !

Dry January over and I had a bottle this weekend. Fizz is improving and now fully cleared. Plasticy aftertaste all but gone (I think this must have been the brand of juice).

It re-affirms what I said earlier - this year I will make it in August and allow a full 3 months bottle conditioning.......

Maybe I will do a straight TC soon to get me through the summer........

Latest posts

Back