Bri's Amstel clone thingy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well this was exiting for me.
Loads of help, specially cheapbrew..so I thank you for the help so far.
Been a long time doing a 23l batch but nay probs so far..
Got the water treatment nearly spot on..and I set befor my grains etc arrived...
Into the mash!! (Pics if needed lata)
Going for
Pilsner malt
Carapils
Flaked rice
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh At 60 & 15mins
Mash temp 66c for 60mins.
Boil for an hour!
The ingredient smell lush
Our lass is at work lol so no winging!! Lol

Thanks for viewing
TBC..

Best wishes for the brew Bri :thumb:

Thx mate
You must of read my mind!!
What did u say the OG was lol
Ended up 3kg pilsner & 500g of each carapils, flaked rice.
Normal hops additions as you suggested
The sparge was taking ages lol the grains were tightly packed, so mixed the grain a couple o time whilst sparging
Boil was a dream no probs

The final result as shown..good old GF :-)

Got the whole batch in the ferm fringe...must had some strength somewhere with one arm lol
10C n I'm happy...
Cleaning and open the widows a bit smelly candles out lol
Been a great journey tbh
Now waiting two week!
Thx

Guys n girls,
I would like to point out one of the perils of lack of experience with not knowing what the certain grains are for in this brew...
I'll try in explain as best as I can.
Cheapbrew has help me loads on this recipe, but I got so carried away 'chasing the magic OG reading and getting the %ABV..in beersmith! And I didn't think to look at what changing the adjunct mesurements would actually mean to the final batch..
Now looking at the increase of flaked rice to 300g I can get away with..
But Carapils increased to 300g will leave the lager cloying taste..
I can't leave this out...it's was playing in my mind last nite and felt as though I let cheapbrew and mysel down.
So what I found
1. Everyday is a learning day
2. Listen to experience from others
3. Research & UNDERSTAND what the grains etc mean n do!!
4. Finally don't make the same mistake again...
As my pal says we'll have to wait..

THE WORD OF TO DAY IS....

Thx for viewing...
I'm off to thrash mysel about with barbed wire...

....it's the flagellation. .
Anyway...how do you find the hop basket? And have you done any recipes from your new book yet?

Cheers

Clint

Haha!! I'll have look up flagellation!!
The hops basket is better now..don't like pellet tbh..yesterday the hops were leaf and much better...and in a bigger brew!
Had to put the book down pal...I'd be skint with all the recipes let alone making them!! Be alreet if I supped like I used do!....or give the beer etc away...
I've got a pal that'll go halfers on beers and our sisters bloke (friend from school days) and his pals take the lager of me....(he pays for my costs n stuff)
So I've had about 3 pints of broon Ale this week so far lol...
It's getter every time...didn't notice the hops a few days a week but last nite it's in..not overpowering..
Just faffing on today with the fan thing with the ferm fridge and bloody housework!!!!
Pinny on!!! If I go!!!

7 days at 10C
at 1.012 now.
wait another week and then ramp it up to 15-15C til the ferment thoroughly for a few days,
back to 10C for lager to clear...well that my hopes.

Quickly tasting the sample!
Mind I'm not reviewer lol
So far no off tasted or no eggy farts! Obvouly the malty smell and the taste come out..(adding 300g carapils instead of 166g) the strong alcohol taste so far is there but not overpowering...don't want a strong lager. Colour is getting better by the week more a pilsner couloir lol. A smooth taste so far.
Tbh this ferm fridge is the dog conkers!! Make lagers much better...but we'll see..
Thx for viewing.

Last edited:
Drop down to 1.008...hmmm
Nearly clear..
Thinking bottle it tomorow!
I can't describe the taste..as I've had my meds...and it's getting on!
But the taste is smooth, malty as! There's a couple of after tastes that I like...but spot its is!!
Might try tomorow
Nite nite all

Have you read the brulosophy Lager method Bri? http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Funny nuff, it's my notes are from there, and from others from pm's n remarks.
With all the will in the world I set out to image it, but as you can see I brewed it at 6th of this month...managed get it half way of (can't spell the word!!) and rammed up to 15c from 10c for 5 days.
Then rammed down to 3c for a week..
18 days isn't a thing when the 'Norm' 2-2 & 2wks...but having the ferm fridge shows me what's went on!!
So if I've bottled the lager today and carbed them up two weeks, then up two weeks cool area..it's about right!
Shaving time in the process isn't my
Thing as long as I'm learning all the time...
Notes all ova lol
All that info is settling in in my battered brain lol.
One thing, I can say is there always a different way to do it! But how I learn how it effects the overall brew that's the magic I strive for...
Dog eared determination, motivation and loving the hobby after all I've lost from my illness isn't going to put me off! S**t with it!!
I ask myself what do I want to achieve at the end of the day...it's not making the best product I can, it's traveling the journey with you all, learning, putting it into practice.
There's always something to do during the week, if not then I'm researching and making notes.
The best theropy in the world..
Plus buying shiny shiny kit!!! Lol
I might not be the brightest bulb in the box...but I get there.

Even though I feel I over done the recipe with the carapils, and the lager is malty as...but like last nite I was trying to describe the after taste...still can't get the words what I want to say!
But as chewbrew says..."you'll have to wait and see, might be the best brewed you done"
The taste is smooth (so far..) no off tastes..ok it well malty..but after carbing and chilling might be ok...lol

Sounds like you may have got a result Bri, if its cleared then I would bottle and carb for a couple of weeks then into the cold to lager for a few more weeks and then enjoy. :thumb:
My lager has been bottled a few weeks now so I might have an early tester tonght. :mrgreen:

Sounds like you may have got a result Bri, if its cleared then I would bottle and carb for a couple of weeks then into the cold to lager for a few more weeks and then enjoy. :thumb:
My lager has been bottled a few weeks now so I might have an early tester tonght. :mrgreen:

Aye m8...will do..
I'll look fwd to your tester.
All good my m8

As you can see from the three clear weekly testers...there plenty of trub at the bottom..half t spoon in one..1/4 in another.
Cleared great, with the temp lagering technique.
:-)

Latest posts

Back