Overnight mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geetee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am about to make a 6% IPA abut am limited for time so propose to split the brewing over two days. I intend to mash at night 6-7 o'clock and then continue next day.

Nver tried before and although I know it is possible I am not sure whether to leave the mash overnight and allow the temp to drop a bit and then sparge next morning OR to sparge after the mash and then reheat the wort from cold next morning

I recently did a 12hr overnight mash where the temp dropped into the low 50s, sparged in the morning and the beer turned out great - no issues whatsoever.

I am about to make a 6% IPA abut am limited for time so propose to split the brewing over two days. I intend to mash at night 6-7 o'clock and then continue next day.

Nver tried before and although I know it is possible I am not sure whether to leave the mash overnight and allow the temp to drop a bit and then sparge next morning OR to sparge after the mash and then reheat the wort from cold next morning

I would imagine it would save a lot of time if you mash and sparge then bring to the boil the next day. I've no idea if there will be any ill effects though?

I recently did a 12hr overnight mash where the temp dropped into the low 50s, sparged in the morning and the beer turned out great - no issues whatsoever.

That's what I was thinking as sparging the night before I would still have to heat the wort from scratch on day 2 so may as well just heat the Sparge water in the morning and the mash will still be hot for the boil!

Back