GRUMPY BARSTEWARDS CORNER (mothers day)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRUMPY BARSTEWARDS CORNER! Official statement

Bloody Mother's Day next week!!!!
I even have to buy a card and present for my WIFE as my son never bothers!

Thanks for reminding me, my son forgot once and his life wasn't worth living for a good few days.

(BTW i moved your post into its own thread - Grumpy Barstewards Corner is born) :lol:

I've got to take my son to his karate grading as my wife wont on Mothers Day. But if you think thats bad, he's 8 and half way to a black belt already. By the time he's grumpy teenager he should be at least a black belt. Thats a bit scary.

GRUMPY BARSTEWARDS CORNER! Official statement

Bloody Mother's Day next week!!!!
I even have to buy a card and present for my WIFE as my son never bothers!

Same here. Furthermore I'm gonna have to get the card/chocs/Baileys/flowers from Asda at 6.30am. directly after a night shift on the Saturday looking like I've just crawled out the hedge bottom while laddo is pushing the z's out. How can that possibly be right?

I buy the lampshade of my life a gift anyway, cos I'm just a great guy.:mrgreen:This year she's getting an assortment of two dozen sours and fruit lambics from Beerhawk. Aren't I a good egg? :whistle:

Hi!
Dearest Mamma does not like chocolates or flowers, so buying a mothers' day present is difficult.
She always says that a general present will be fine (that is, something from either General Booth or General Gordon).

So here is the approaching apocalypse of next weekend, a perfect storm for the cynical at heart:

The previously mentioned Mothers day so I have to buy cards AND get up early and make Breakfast for my WIFE?

No Premier league Football at all just intermittent internationals ( if anyone is interested)

First week of spring so the birds are chirping from 5:00AM where I live, no more lie ins

And to cap it all the clocks go forward 1 hour on Sunday morning so 1 hour less sleep when I have to get up and be jolly on MOTHERS day for my wife! I have a cunning plan though I will get up at usual time and just pretend to be awake for the first hour.

How can we trust a Government to take us out of the EU when they can't even organise the separation of all these events over 2-3 weekends to lessen the blow?

I was reading the sunday papers and came across some unholy heresy probably dreamed up by the supermarkets to extract more dosh from us hapless consumers - Easter Crackers! WTF!!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...econd-christmas-families-buy-crackers-sunday/

As if we havent got enough useless tat in our lives to deal with. Someone has decided to conflate two festivals and come up with this $hite. What next, a Guy Fawkes birthday cake? :roll:

The previously mentioned Mothers day so I have to buy cards AND get up early and make Breakfast for my WIFE?

Hi!
On Father's Day, she'll say, "You're my HUSBAND, not my father, so why should I do anything special for you today?"
Es non victori.

No Premier league Football at all

Every cloud has a silver lining :grin:

As I understand it Mothers Day is a creation of the Catholic church - honouring your mother in memory of the mother of Christ.
I'm not a Catholic so it's nothing to do with me.
And fathers day is just an invention of the greetings card industry. So stuff that too.

I would be deeply disturbed if either of my kids did something for me or the mrs on either of those days.

Tedious isn't it. In the same boat as my two are 3 & 5 so can't go shopping for themselves yet + I have to get a card in the post for my Mum and probably speak to her on Sunday - the weather, who's died/ill, anything else miserable are her favourite subjects.

I go along with Mothering Sunday as it was a church thing first before it was hijacked for commercial gain. I'm quite clear about Father's Day though, that it's a "Hallmark" day so just invented for commercial reasons and tell my lot not to waste their money (which is actually my money as the sole bread winner at the moment). A few years back the weather wasn't great on Father's day so we decided to go to soft play, which I normally consider to be a vision of hell on Earth. Went to the usual place and they were closing up as they had no customers, carried onto the bigger place that we normally avoid as it's so busy. Hardly anyone in there and probably the best fun we've had at soft play. I don't get it though surely the point of Father's day is for Dads to spend time with their kids so you'd expect these places to be busy. Guess not though.

I don't get it though surely the point of Father's day is for Dads to spend time with their kids so you'd expect these places to be busy. Guess not though.

As a father who changed jobs to work more flexibly to do child care( should read parenting!!) frankly on fathers day I would rather spend it on my own getting some head space away from my 3 little darlings.

And like the rest here I will have to ensure there are 3 cards, 3 presents and the ducks are all in a row come breakfast time Sunday morning.

I've got to take my son to his karate grading as my wife wont on Mothers Day. But if you think thats bad, he's 8 and half way to a black belt already. By the time he's grumpy teenager he should be at least a black belt. Thats a bit scary.

I'm sure he will respect you as a good and wise parent ... :thumb: :thumb:

... especially if you keep reminding him that even a karate black belt can't see a lump of four-by-two coming at him from behind! :whistle: :whistle:

Hi!
It's all bo**ocks!
Why should we have a special day to tell our mothers that they are special and we love them?
By the by, the woman who was behind the introduction of Mother's Day later called for a boycott of the celebration!
Father's Day - stuff that for a game of soldiers. Why should my kids feel obligated to spend their hard-earned money on me JUST because it's a named day? They should be spending their hard-earned money on me ALL YEAR ROUND. :grin:

Agreed and firmly on this bandwagon

Kids are 5 and 7 , so I am held to ransom to get this sorted for them.. and my own mother.

As for fathers day I dont wish to sound ungrateful because U get things in return but to be perfectly honest, I am not fussed because I believe its a BS made up day, Mothers day seems a lot more meningful for Mothers than fathers day for fathers it feels to me..

If he were my son I would tell him he has to sort it out not me (assuming he is aged over 8), and take the flak for any failure.
Personal responsibility and all that. :thumb:

Eldest son, 31, is autistic so doesn't really have the access to shops etc and youngest son 27 lives in Paris. he doesn't believe in cards for the sake of it or manufactured occasions so no action from him.
Not sure where he get's this cynical attitude from though!

Nice to see some support for this new corner and I can see that a few are equally grumpy and already challengers for my title as leader!

Eldest son, 31, is autistic so doesn't really have the access to shops etc and youngest son 27 lives in Paris. he doesn't believe in cards for the sake of it or manufactured occasions so no action from him.
OK understood.
Youngest can order flowers online for his Mum though. :thumb:
I have used these people in the past https://www.serenataflowers.com/

It's all a money making exercise. ..but the other half likes a card and present...I tell them not to bother for fathers day or my birthday. ..in fact I've just had a birthday and made her take my present back! All I want is peace and quiet! And a few beers of course. ..

Cheers

Clint

Back