Home Brew Competition - May 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for May 17 is Single Malt and Single Hop (SMaSH)

Style Guidelines:

SMaSH
Standing for Single Malt and Single Hop, all entered beers must be made with one grain type and one hop strain only. The idea if to marry up the grain and hop to make each shine. There are no limits on strength, style or IBUs, or qualifications in terms of mouthfeel, colour, carbonation, etc.. The beers must be balanced and both the malt and hop must be well presented with neither dominating.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @ezraburke

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Wednesday 31st May and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Cheers Mick. Looking forward to this one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm in! 😉👌

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got two ideas in my head for this one, so may have to enter two🍻

Well timed, as the uk smash off (now closed) was originally May/now /June, so my entry is 2 weeks into conditioning!

I brewed one a while ago which is holding up pretty well so I'm going to enter it.

Well timed, as the uk smash off (now closed) was originally May/now /June, so my entry is 2 weeks into conditioning!

My SMASH Off entry needs all the conditioning time it can get - its not come out at all as I hoped :doh: but I'll send a bottle in for the forum comp too - need all the feedback I can get!

Last edited:
Still not decided if I'm going to enter or not it have a recipe ready if I do. If I use brewing sugar will it still count as a smash?

I reckon it still counts as a smash, it's still single malt technically.

I have a recipe and ingredients but what I don't have is time, so I'm not sure I'll make this one myself. I have a vienna and amarillo smash planned, fermented with brett. Bit of an experiment but I think it sounds good.

Still not decided if I'm going to enter or not it have a recipe ready if I do. If I use brewing sugar will it still count as a smash?

Sugar isn't a malt so reading the name to the letter it seems like it should be fine. I think the principle behind this competition is to showcase the malt and hop of choice so it probably comes down to a judgement of the sugar's role in terms of complexity in the beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are everyone's thought's on other adjuncts? For example chilli powder, fruits, coriander, herbs etc?

but where do you draw the line - would un-malted grains be ok as they technically aren't a malt???

Personally I think that adding other fermentables & flavourings goes against the spirit of a smash comp, and the herbs/spices would be better in the experimental comp in August.

but where do you draw the line - would un-malted grains be ok as they technically aren't a malt???

Personally I think that adding other fermentables & flavourings goes against the spirit of a smash comp, and the herbs/spices would be better in the experimental comp in August.

Yeh good point, the final dividing line would be hard to define

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are everyone's thought's on other adjuncts? For example chilli powder, fruits, coriander, herbs etc?

As dan has said where do you draw the line?

Surely these would be flavoured/experimental beers.

Latest posts

Back