Home Brew Competition - August 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for August 17 is Experimental

Style Guidelines:

Experimental
Pine tree pilsner? Hot fermented lager? Bacon smoked bock? 24 hour boil DIPA? Seaweed and green tea stout? Rusty oil-can aged Weissbier? Peanut and pepper porter? If you've ever made one of these and want to see how it compares, then this is the category for you. There are no constraints in terms of OG, IBU, colour, mouthfeel or carbonation. However, beers must be drinkable, tasty and credible, not just wacky and weird!les for the HBF Brewing Competition are general and encompass a number of sub-styles. As such, some variations from the following will exist. However, submitted beers should always adhere to the core principles of the style.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64346

Judge: @Stigman

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Thursday 31st August and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Hmm got my take on @hoddy Rosemary pale ale but I think it's past it's best. It's still a really nice drink but lost some of that Rosemary taste

I had a beetroot and horseradish pale planed for this. But time got away from me and wasn't sure on the vibe for the comps. Cant see it happening now as I'm off to Scotland for a three week safari in ten days.
Still waiting for Junes results:whistle:

I'm in for this one - assuming the beer's not rank when I bottle it later today.

I brewed a 'Thai curry' golden ale with coconut water, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass for this comp. it was absolutely rank and I refused to inflict it on the judge, so I'll be sitting this one out!

We have til the end of August to submit this right? I've been thinking about either a peanut butter milk stout or replicating a commercial coconut and chilli pale I had a couple of weeks ago. If I can brew it at the end of July I might just make it!

We have til the end of August to submit this right? I've been thinking about either a peanut butter milk stout or replicating a commercial coconut and chilli pale I had a couple of weeks ago. If I can brew it at the end of July I might just make it!

Yep, entries should arrive by the end of the month but most judges are pretty flexible.

I brewed a 'Thai curry' golden ale with coconut water, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass for this comp. it was absolutely rank and I refused to inflict it on the judge, so I'll be sitting this one out!

Did this go down the drain Ajhutch? If not I'm up for trying anything.

Did this go down the drain Ajhutch? If not I'm up for trying anything.

I'm afraid it did. It got a layer of fat from the coconut water on top which I think stopped heat and CO2 from escaping. In hindsight I should have skimmed that off or swirled it back in while it was actively fermenting. It actually fermented out but tasted awful. I gave it a few weeks to try and clean itself up but it didn't budge so I dumped it.

I received the first entry for the comp yesterday, it's a tropical lager from @dads_ale.
Anymore entries welcome just drop me a pm for my address

I received the first entry for the comp yesterday, it's a tropical lager from @dads_ale.
Anymore entries welcome just drop me a pm for my address

Just wanted to check the Aug comp is going ahead as planned after the recent discussion about changing the format?
Was gonna get my fresh coriander leaf pale ale in the post tomorow.
:cheers:

I may have an entry for this. It depends entirely on how quickly it ferments out though. I should be able to shave some time off of the conditioning time as I have a corny keg setup now.

Yup it came yesterday mate all in one piece. I ment to let you know but been busy till now, i would say I'm looking forward to it but I chewed on some coriander leaf we happened to have in the fridge and it's not a great flavour is it?

i would say I'm looking forward to it but I chewed on some coriander leaf we happened to have in the fridge and it's not a great flavour is it?

:doh::lol: That doesn't bode well for my chances :lol:

I'm hoping it comes through as quite subtle - and compliments the limey flavour fom the healthy dose of Motueka hops.
I thought it might go well with a curry :?:

looking forward to hearing what you think - enjoy the judging :cheers:

Latest posts

Back