Which Beaverdale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
Hi Guys

It hurts but I'm going to spend some money on a decent kit. I like a nice Shiraz or Merlot but I'm open to suggestions. I may even get one red and one white.

What are your top three favourite Beaverdale kits and why? Are there any other kits around the same price that I should consider?

Thanks
Paul.

I've done Nebiolo, Shiraz and Pinot_Noir. All amazing, I'm not sure I like one over the other, they are just different.

Nebbiolo and Pinot_Noir were great after a month believe it or not. 3-4 months later the Nebiolo is still amazing, but has matured and the sweetness has gone so very dry. The Shiraz is also amazing.

Cal Conn Rioja (rojo tinto) is the best kit I've done thus far, and have a 30 bottler on my garage shelf waiting to put on when my bucket is free.

I wouldn't go cheaper now, cellar 7 etc, it's just not worth the hassle to save ten quid and the end result is not comparable. This is reds of course, can't speak to white as I dont drink it.

Beaverdale/Cal Con taste like you've bought them, not made them. All in my limited experience of course. I've given about 20-30% of them away, and the feedback is amazing, from some big wine drinkers too who can't believe this is home brew, these kits have come on so much.

My intention was to move up the ranges again, Kenridge Classic, Winexpert Vintners reserve for comparison - so ��£50+ kits, but I may not even bother now I'm so pleased with these ��£38 Beaverdale/cal con's.

I open a bottle after a month, but keep some back for longer term to see if there is any massive improvement. To be honest, I don't think there is,.

Al

I've done Nebiolo, Shiraz and Pinot_Noir. All amazing, I'm not sure I like one over the other, they are just different.

Nebbiolo and Pinot_Noir were great after a month believe it or not. 3-4 months later the Nebiolo is still amazing, but has matured and the sweetness has gone so very dry. The Shiraz is also amazing.

Cal Conn Rioja (rojo tinto) is the best kit I've done thus far, and have a 30 bottler on my garage shelf waiting to put on when my bucket is free.

I wouldn't go cheaper now, cellar 7 etc, it's just not worth the hassle to save ten quid and the end result is not comparable. This is reds of course, can't speak to white as I dont drink it.

Beaverdale/Cal Con taste like you've bought them, not made them. All in my limited experience of course. I've given about 20-30% of them away, and the feedback is amazing, from some big wine drinkers too who can't believe this is home brew, these kits have come on so much.

My intention was to move up the ranges again, Kenridge Classic, Winexpert Vintners reserve for comparison - so ����£50+ kits, but I may not even bother now I'm so pleased with these ����£38 Beaverdale/cal con's.

I open a bottle after a month, but keep some back for longer term to see if there is any massive improvement. To be honest, I don't think there is,.

Al

In addition to this I've done the Beaverdale and California Connoisseur Cab Savs and the first thought I had when I tried it after a month was Gallo Turning Leaf which is about the highest compliment I could give any wine. I'm in agreement with #GDog though as I've brewed Cellar 7 and Australian Blend reds when they've been on offer and they just don't compare to Beaverdales or CC's

Thanks for the advice guys.

Gone for the Beaverdale Pinot Noir 30 Bottle kit as no one seems to have a bad word for it.

I'd still like some recommendations for a good white kit at around the same price (£40ish). I do like a Sauvignon Blanc but don't like very dry whites.

Thanks again
Paul.

I've only heard really good things about the Beaverdale whites and I loved the Pinot Grigio that I made, better than plenty of commercial wines I've bought. Wasn't so thrilled with the Nebbiolo I made compared to a pricier kit (an R J Spagnols Cru International, unfortunately not available in UK) but tasted a well aged Beaverdale cab sauv my Dad made and it was good. Maybe a few months longer in the bottle would have helped my Nebbiolo, it was OK but still slightly sweet and too thin for my taste. I hear great things about the Kenridge Classic reds and they're only £9 more than beaverdale if you shop around which is only 23p more per bottle.

Just sat with a glass of the pinot noir and it's really nice.
As it's not even bottled yet (it's been sat clearing for a week or so) I guess it's only going to get better.

Latest posts

Back