Feedback for an authentic Hops scent profile

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliseM

Reaction score
I am a scent designer at a custom fragrance company and we are working on a Hops fragrance oil that can be used to make candles, soaps, beard oil, and other scented products. We're working on some different formulations right now, but I was curious what were the most popular types of Hops used in home brewing? We'd like to do four different Hops scents, but want them to be familiar to home brewers so you would understand that one has more citrus top notes, while a different one might have more pine or resin notes. Any feedback about what varietals of Hops to focus on first that would be the most popular? Thanks in advance for your feedback and help on this project!

The big-hitting American citrus hops would be a good start. Citra, for example. Hard to go wrong with that one. Getting washed with a bar of Citra in the morning. Sounds good to me!

Citra is really popular at the moment and you could maybe go for a UK variety too EKG or fuggles perhaps, can't think of any more at the moment.
I have been known to come home smelling of hops (well beer anyway :smile: )

I am a scent designer at a custom fragrance company and we are working on a Hops fragrance oil that can be used to make candles, soaps, beard oil, and other scented products. We're working on some different formulations right now, but I was curious what were the most popular types of Hops used in home brewing? We'd like to do four different Hops scents, but want them to be familiar to home brewers so you would understand that one has more citrus top notes, while a different one might have more pine or resin notes. Any feedback about what varietals of Hops to focus on first that would be the most popular? Thanks in advance for your feedback and help on this project!
Is this a wind up ? 😃

I love Simcoe aroma in an IPA. Not sure it makes me think "Wow, I'd love to spray that all over me!" though!

I really appreciate everyone's input and feedback, it was really helpful and I've taken plenty of notes!

I would buy those candles, but only if they came with a little crystal hanging in a little pyramid

Crossmyloof brewery supplies publish a league table of which hops have been the most popular each month on there Facebook page so a good place to see what's popular.
I'm not sure many people could distinguish one hop variety from another by scent anyway although no doubt there are a few people on here (the nerdy ones :lol: ) who can.
Good luck with it and be sure to let us know when my ideas have been incorporated into my very own inspired scent I can then pm you my address for samples :thumb:

Crossmyloof brewery supplies publish a league table of which hops have been the most popular each month on there Facebook page so a good place to see what's popular.
I'm not sure many people could distinguish one hop variety from another by scent anyway although no doubt there are a few people on here (the nerdy ones :lol: ) who can.
Good luck with it and be sure to let us know when my ideas have been incorporated into my very own inspired scent I can then pm you my address for samples :thumb:
Only hop I would be able to detect (I think) would be Mosaic it's so pungent,dank almost like weed but I certainly wouldn't want to spray it on 😅

Back