Dry Hopping After Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrydown

Reaction score
So, following on from my1 last thread... Where I had trouble with excessive trub blocking my muslin covered racking autosyphoning to the bottling bucket...

I wondered is there much difference between:

Dry hopping just before fermentation ends.
&
Dry hopping after fermentation has ended and the ale has more or less cleared.

If there isn't, perhaps I would be better dry hopping once the beer has fermented out and been sitting a week or two longer to settle out and clear.

I am guessing that the bits of hop left floating in the beer after dry hopping mean the ale is going to be messy at transfer anyway, negating the benefits of a delay.

Consensus seems to suggest that I can't leave the dry hopped ale to clear as I will lose aroma before bottling.

Thanks for any ideas or opinions.

Jim :thumb:

Most beers I usually leave in the FV for 10 days to ferment out, clean up and start to clear.
Then I rack off.
Then I dry hop with with pellets for six days or so with the last two days in a cold place, but don't bother with my brew fridge. By then it's nearly fully clear, and most of the hops I chucked in have settled out. If you occasionally knock the outside of the FV at the liquid level it will encourage floating hop particles to drop.
Then I use a nylon mesh sock over the end of the siphon tube cane to package .
I have never had any problems with the sock blocking up.
My sock came from a Festival kit but you can buy them off ebay.
s-l500.jpg

I don't have a brewing fridge yet, due to lack of space .

Thanks for the advice. I'm very glad to hear that 'post fermentation' dry hopping is fine. I am in no hurry :)

I will be priming in bucket though. So perhaps a longer clearing time, then dry hopping in the same bucket before racking and priming?

I think the racking issue could have been because of fold points in the tube. I may need to brace the tube to promote a strong flow, that might negate the issues I had. My muslin bag should work similarly to the nylon bag.

I might make a nylon or stainless cage for the end of my autosyphon though. The rigidity would probably help.

Thanks again.

Back