Speed Test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Could members run this speed test (click run test twice if you do not want to use your post code)

When the test has finished click on "result page" (bottom left) then post the link here or use the "insert image" icon in the bar above where you type.

Could you also post what package you are on and what speeds you are supposed to get, thanks.

I am with TalkTalk on the faster fibre package which i believe is capped at 38Mbps

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

1507398596455637055.png

1.5Mbps download
0.4 upload.
No idea what we're supposed to get but it's a pain in the **** at the moment and just grateful on those odd occasions when we can get it to work at all.

I should have explained in the OP, i am not bragging about my speed there are far faster packages out there but this is fast enough (and cheap enough) for me, i have had some strange results with speed tests and this one seems the most accurate, instead of reporting the burst speed as the final top speed it tells the truth and shows your actual speed with the burst speed.

I am curious what others get on from different ISP's and packages.

1.5Mbps download
0.4 upload.
No idea what we're supposed to get but it's a pain in the **** at the moment and just grateful on those odd occasions when we can get it to work at all.
If you are a long way from the exchange then that will significantly reduce the available speed. I am only about 1.3 miles from my exchange by road and my achievable speed is halved.
However there are a few things you can do to possibly improve matters, especially if you are on ADSL like you and me.
First listen to your phone line. If you have a lot of crackling this will reduce the connection speed as your router tries to cope. If it's really bad you will get disconnects. I had this happen once and BT found a fault in the line which solved the problem
Next test the router in the incoming BT socket. If there is an internal test socket use that. If there is a significant improvement then you have a possible fault in your internal system especially if you are working off filters off hard wired extensions. And if you try an old type phone in the test socket and you get crackling there's a fault on the BT line.
Then look at the incoming BT box. The latest type splits internet and phone signals at the box, and have separate sockets for internet and phone and are best.
If you are working off an old filter to your router it might be faulty so try another one they are cheap enough.
And don't rely on the router given to you by your ISP. Most are cheap and cheerful and can be unreliable. I bought my own having had problems and now have improved speed and no longer get disconnects.

47.5 down 5.8 up on the face of it good but i am on VM 100mb line so the result isn't great for what its costing me. My contract is up so looking for a new provider now.

speed.JPG

I got 32 for download and 8.9 for upload via bt. Was on a 56mb package but recently upgraded me for free to 72mb

I'm getting 17.5Mb/sec on my Talk Talk 'Faster Fibre' 38Mb/s deal, but it fluctuates between 11 and 18Mb/s, which is well down on the 35Mb/s I used to get from it. Currently in the middle of a complaints procedure with them.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Here is mine, central Manchester

Thanks this is why I asked for pictures of the test result in my OP both your download speeds are close to identical whereas mine are quite a bit different, could anyone else doing the test please post the test result picture as above using the instructions in my OP, thanks.

1507398596455637055.png

attachment.php

Virgin Media, Wolverhampton. Contract speed is up to 200Mbps down (12Mbps up tends to be the norm).

Speedtests aren't that good an indicator of download speed to be honest. The old method used to be to download a bunch of large files at once, then work out an average from this. All test methods though are flawed as they are dependant upon the speed/bandwidth of the server at the other end, not to mention routing (the usual reason you get online games where some folks DC whilst others are fine, then rant that the server is down when it isn't. :lol:).

Speedtest for example you need to be careful picking target server, 70% of them can't cope with a 200 meg connection.

Judge your ISP on how it actually works for you. Are you getting lots of buffering streaming movies? Are downloads taking stupidly long times? Etc.

As you appear to be on TalkTalk, I'd hazard you'll answer yest to both.... :whistle:

I should mention, my wife was on her PC using Skype to talk to our oldest when I did this...

Oh, and one of my daughters was on Netflix... lol

speedtestthinkbb.JPG

43 bursting to 50.

Supposed to be up to 80. Wireless speeds are slow for some reason. Wired pretty good.

With sky fibre max

Are you by chance connection on the 2.5Ghz wavelength? If so, this wavelength is often heavily congested with traffic and is also very prone to FM interference (microwave ovens, electric fences, large screen TVs etc etc). 5Ghz tends to be cleaner and less congested, but doesn't travel as far.

Also, check the channels you are using. If there is a lot of overlap, or people on the same channel, again you get reduced bandwidth. You can check using inSSider, and there are guides on that on how to chose the right chanell/channel range.

It could also just be your equipment. Just like ISPs it tends to get sold at the maximum speed it could possibly run at, in perfectly ideal conditions with the device 1 inch away... You'll never get as good a speed using WIFI as you will using Cat6 ethernet cable on a 1Gbps network. That's why ISPs ask you to test wired rather than over WIFI, usually with no other devices connected so the test device gets all of the available bandwidth.

If you are a long way from the exchange then that will significantly reduce the available speed. I am only about 1.3 miles from my exchange by road and my achievable speed is halved.
However there are a few things you can do to possibly improve matters, especially if you are on ADSL like you and me.
First listen to your phone line. If you have a lot of crackling this will reduce the connection speed as your router tries to cope. If it's really bad you will get disconnects. I had this happen once and BT found a fault in the line which solved the problem
Next test the router in the incoming BT socket. If there is an internal test socket use that. If there is a significant improvement then you have a possible fault in your internal system especially if you are working off filters off hard wired extensions. And if you try an old type phone in the test socket and you get crackling there's a fault on the BT line.
Then look at the incoming BT box. The latest type splits internet and phone signals at the box, and have separate sockets for internet and phone and are best.
If you are working off an old filter to your router it might be faulty so try another one they are cheap enough.
And don't rely on the router given to you by your ISP. Most are cheap and cheerful and can be unreliable. I bought my own having had problems and now have improved speed and no longer get disconnects.

Thanks for that but we've covered all that.
We're about 3 miles from the exchange but have in the past had excellent broadband. Current problems are since Christmas this year.
We have an ongoing battle trying to get it fixed - EE have been fine and have acknowledged there's a problem but every time they send an openreach engineer out they can't find anything wrong. the last one said all his test results were fine except for one that might indicate a problem in the exchange. Funnily enough EE have already told us that the problem is in the exchange! Of course, openreach haven't done anything about it. Gits.

Mine is meant to be around 80 or 100 but only getting 55. Virgin suck. Put up my bill half way through a contract, lie to you when you renew it. They keep wacking up the price for existing customers.

75.9 Mbps... Virgin.

They put my bill up some time ago, as they kindly decided to 'give' me a crapload of bloody sport channels. I'd rather watch my house explode than watch sport, so gave them some 'what for' down the phone. Sports channels removed and replaced with ones that I want, bill reduced to less than what it was before and a general upgrade of everything.

Mine is meant to be around 80 or 100 but only getting 55. Virgin suck. Put up my bill half way through a contract, lie to you when you renew it. They keep wacking up the price for existing customers.

Don’t even go there with virgin. A number of years ago we had their 50mb service. At “peak times” (so evenings and weekends when you actually use it) we were lucky to get 56kb dial up speed. Constantly had to phone them up and get fobbed off with “well your sync speed is 50, that’s what you’re paying for, you just happen to be in an area that is over utilised”.
They did keep giving us a credit each month so it was effectively free, but we might as well not had it for what we could use it for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Judge your ISP on how it actually works for you. Are you getting lots of buffering streaming movies? Are downloads taking stupidly long times? Etc.

As you appear to be on TalkTalk, I'd hazard you'll answer yest to both.... :whistle:

No to both questions.

I have been a TT customer for more than 10 years and i am happy with the service, i did have a couple off issues when moving to fibre recently but a new D-link router (i used to have the HG633 which was fine for ADSL but in my opinion is not for VDSL) fixed that, TT get a lot of stick and a lot of it is band wagon jumping bull**** no one goes onto support forums to say how wonderful their service is every week but customers are on like a shot when things go wrong, i admit their customer service is not the best but if you use the online community rather than phone support you usually end up with your problem being sorted faster than when you phone.

This forum shows all results for ISP unhappiness and as you can see BT and virgin have more unhappy customers than TT. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness.html

Good point about test files here are some with times - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

Back