Help with Kenridge Classic Shiraz Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevieleeds

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a situation that I'm not quite sure what to do with.....
It's my first 30 Bottle kit so I'm justifiably worried!
Gone thorough primary fermentation, racked into new FV under airlock.
Day 22 it said check fermentation had stopped before continuing, SG should be .995 or less and no bubbles: SG .992 and had seen no airlock activity in about a week, so decided to proceed to "Degassing".
Racked off into a sterilised FV, added sodium metabisulphate packet and kieselsol packet. Now it says stir the wine at least 6-8 times in the next two days to de-gas. Yesterday was day 1 of 2 so I stirred the wine with a sterile spoon about 6 times, only last night it seems to have started fermenting again....bubbles through airlock every few minutes....is this normal when degassing?
Should I leave it alone for fear of oxygenating it or should I continue degassing?
Thanks!!! Steven
I should add it seems to have stopped fermenting again, and I've just tasted a spoonful and it tastes wonderful, and not fizzy in the slightest.

Last edited:
If you have wound it up then the co2 will be held in the foam etc above the wine. You then put it under lock and it has to go somewhere. I have just had this happen with a Pinot Grigio. Suggest instead of all that stirring you get or make a decent wand and degass in one go with a drill. Plenty of info on here. Saves all the fuss.

Did this with a Pinot Grigio and a Vieux Chateau de Roi on Sunday - stabilised , degassed and added Kieselsol. Monday added the Chitosan. It was clear as a bell by yesterday. Will still give it a few days then bottle. Some on here add the Kieselsol and Chitosan within half an hour of each other and straight after the stabilising and degass.

If you have wound it up then the co2 will be held in the foam etc above the wine. You then put it under lock and it has to go somewhere. I have just had this happen with a Pinot Grigio. Suggest instead of all that stirring you get or make a decent wand and degass in one go with a drill. Plenty of info on here. Saves all the fuss.

Thanks Vinotinto! I thought as much, so I'll carry on to the next stage. I've never degassed and then put the airlock back on, as I use 5Ltr PET's so when I degass I put a whole cap on without the airlock. That said, there has been no foam on the top and it doesn't taste at all fizzy!

The instructions also say that I can miss out the potassium sorbate so long as I'm not going to sweeten it. Anyone think I should add it anyway to ensure fermentation has stopped? I don't want any more additives than absolutely necessary and won't be sweetening it.....

Latest posts

Back