hello all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ2You

TJ
Reaction score
I have a question, I heard last night that when making wine the best sugar to use is a dark brown sugar, can anyone confirm that please.:thumb:

Although no expert, darker sugars have more qualities in them that won't ferment so you would end up with lower alcohol and potentially the flavour would be more affected. From my brief time on the forum, most users seem to use plain old white sugar for wines unless there is a certain characteristic you are trying to include.

Thank you, I have use good old white in my first brew in about 7 years, I have used the grapes off my vine this year, a good batch was had, in all 16.6Lb of grapes so got about 10-11 litres of red out of it, so hoping it will all be ok, but its just a friend said someone used it at the end of brewing and it was really nice.

There are wine recipes which include brown sugar but I would never use it for wine from grapes. Which variety of grape do you have?

I am not sure tony, I got the vine from a local Garden shop ages ago and only last 3 years it has finally started producing, I am sure I will find label somewhere in the shed.

I don't make wine any more, but when I did I always used plain white granulated. ( Whatever style I was making)

I have a question, I heard last night that when making wine the best sugar to use is a dark brown sugar, can anyone confirm that please.:thumb:

I cannot remember a member saying it or it being discussed so i assume its white for everything unless as Tony says above brown its called for in a recipe.

Most of my vines were bought at garden centres. The choice of reds is usually limited. 2 common options are cabernet sauvignon and black hamburg (unsuitable for wine). If your grapes are quite small (1 cm diameter) and the bunches are loose, there is good chance they are cab sauv, which ripens late, but they are somewhat early this year. If you can keep the birds away, it's usually best to leave the grapes long after they have turned black. I once harvested them in early December, with excellent results. Picking too early means low sugar and high acidity, like the ones I picked last week. I reduced the acidity with potassium bicarbonate and added about 400 g of sugar per gallon of juice.

Latest posts

Back