Cider - Film Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Close examination of some of my cider in secondary (DJs with safety stoppers and carboys with airlock) is showing a film yeast on top. My reading leads me to believe this is partly due to air getting to the top of the cider.

My plan is to sterilise some more DJs / Carboys. Rack the cider into these onto some crushed campdens (how many?) then top up to the brim with some juice from todays press.

Any better ideas or advice?

not all film yeasts are bad, i wouldn't be too fussed as long as you know the DJs are well stoppered. If you do feel the need then just 1 tablet per DJ will be more than enough.

not all film yeasts are bad, i wouldn't be too fussed as long as you know the DJs are well stoppered. If you do feel the need then just 1 tablet per DJ will be more than enough.

Before I saw your reply I read on Andrew Lea's website 100ppm sulphite to treat a film yeast. So I whacked 2 campdens per gallon into every DJ and container. Then topped to the brim with fresh juice from the days press.

Possibly overkill. All of this had been racked a while so quite clear. The campdens and juice made it a bit more cloudy. Guess these will be part of my not sparkling batch!

Back