How to back sweeten ginger beer (please help!)??.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_593

Reaction score
Hi I have a batch of ginger beer on the go that's too dry and needs sweetening. I'm wondering how to go about this process? And particularly, how not to contaminate.

I have read up on the process and I will be using a sweetener. The process I will be following is transferring the ginger beer into a second fermenting bucket to add the sweetener.
Can someone tell me how to complete this process without contaminating the batch??
Q. After transferring to a second FV, How do I add sweetener to taste in the second FV, without contaminating the batch? is it possible to add sweetener and mix everything around without contaminating the beer? Whats the best way to do this?

Advice/ help please!

Hi Nick,

Your main concern seems to be around sanitation.
The modern product is Star San (and similar) and that is indeed fairy dust for homebrewers.

Using sodium metabisulphite for sterilising everything is where I started on HB and still works, since the chemical principles are the same. Bit tedious though.

Given that it's ginger beer, and you want it sweeter, why even bother until you serve it. Add some cordial of choice. Blackcurrant, orange, lime, Vimto. Just lash it out and lash some in - as Enid Blyton used to say.

Given that it's ginger beer, and you want it sweeter, why even bother until you serve it. Add some cordial of choice. Blackcurrant, orange, lime, Vimto. Just lash it out and lash some in - as Enid Blyton used to say.
genius!! i like..

If you want to sweeten why not take a litre out of the FV add a measure of non fermentable sweetener (a bit at a time) until you get the desired sweetness then multiply the amount of sweetener used by the volume in the FV, bung it in and stir with a sterile spoon.

If you don't like the idea (risk) of messing with the beer in the FV use the method above but don't add the sweetener to the FV add the sweetener to the bottle before you drink it.

Back